Thread: How to get to my roofline?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to get to my roofline?

Hi all,
    Havenít been on here in forever but moved to a large house and canít get to my roofline to run lights across the top, I just want to run C-9 LEDs across but donít want to pay anyone. I also donít want to kill myself by trying to walk it, donít wanna spend Christmas dead.
    Does anyone have any tricks or ideas without renting a boom or paying someone else 500 or so to do it? Pic of my house attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to get to my roofline?

There's nothing there you can't reach from a ladder. If you don't own one, buy one. That'll be the cheapest way to get them up and down year after year.

3. Likes mikel3332 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some folks on here rent booms - unfortunately the only way I could come up with was to borrow my neighbor,s 28 foot ladder... need to get on my tippy toes for the peaks, and I admit I still get scared, but have gotten the job done for the past 7 years. If youíre afraid of heights or may have difficulty multitasking while 30 feet up, you might be better off hiring someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have ladders, even with a 40 foot I can’t get to the top without walking it, which I’m not comfortable with. No fear of heights or walking on a roof, but with the height and slope I don’t wanna risk it. I can get to and walk on the left side where the valley is so I could technically get to one side of the roof line, problem is reaching the other 50 or so feet across the top.

Post Thanks / Like

so if the average height of a story is 9-10' your two story house should be 18-20' from the ground to the gutters. Maybe a bit higher at the peaks at 25' or so. Why can't you get to this with a 40' ladder? Is there something i'm not getting here?

Post Thanks / Like

There is going to be at least a one time effort to put some kind of anchors up. There is system that uses magnets and once installed you use a long pole to click the lights to the anchors. Or same thing with some hooks. But I would think using a 25' pole would be a feat all its own.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he is referring to the peak along the very top of the roof. Do you have a friend at the local fire department? (ladder truck) If not, you are not going to get there unless you walk up to the peak. Your roof looks like a 6/12 pitch, which is not that steep. If you fear falling, tie yourself off to the ground at the front and back of the house and then you can confidently walk along the ridge. If that is a no go, then you may have to settle for not lighting the peak.
    Last edited by rstehle; 11-10-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Can't type...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    I think he is referring to the peak along the very top of the roof. Do you have a friend at the local fire department? (ladder truck) If not, you are not going to get there unless you walk up to the peak. Your roof looks like a 6/12 pitch, which is not that steep. If you fear falling, tie yourself off to the ground at the front and back of the house and then you can confidently walk along the ridge. If that is a no go, then you hay have to settle for not lighting the peak.
    Yes, referring to the roofline peak only, I can get to the gutters no problem. Maybe I can get a roof harness thingy, throw a strong rope over the other side and tie it off to a tree, should save me from dying.

Post Thanks / Like

If you gotta get it done, how about this (note my handle):
    Throw a light weight rope over the right side of your house. Attach you LED string to the rope and pull it up the the top. Securely tie off the the front and back end of the rope centering the LED string near the roof line. Using the valley, climb to the left side of the roof line with the other end of the LED string (more rope likely involved). Pull LED string taut across roof line and secure it. This is not a great solution but it may be good enough.

<humor on>
    Fear is reason fighting stupid.
    Screw the roof line.
    Gutter and gable lines are good enough.
    <humor off>