Thread: PVC size? Jib Plans?

Post Thanks / Like

Default PVC size? Jig Plans?

Hey gang - I am going to try to get something blinking and flashing for Christmas this year. I have 2 12.5mm drill bits showing up today courtesy of Amazon Prime, what size PVC to I need to use? 1/2? I see the PVC Clips at Holidaycoro.com are listed as 1/2. LINK Is it safe to assume that 1/2 PVC snaps firmly into these? Anyone have a good design / plans for a jig to drill PVC tubing straight that they'd share?
    Last edited by DrewDennis; 11-09-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PVC size? Jig Plans?

For clips, I cut 3/4" PVC - about 1.5" then cut out longwise to make a c shape. The more you cut the less the snap...play with it for a very tight fit. Too loose and they will fall in the heat.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PVC size? Jig Plans?

Check out the last post on this page. An easy option is to use "Simpson Straps" found at a home improvement store. They're metal strips used for strapping wood together. Bend them around a piece of PVC, remove the PVC and tighten the curve a bit. The PVC will snap into the loop and the rest of the strap can be slipped under the shingles or over a gutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PVC size? Jib Plans?

No one has a good jig plan? Bueller? Bueller?

Post Thanks / Like

So I understand, you are drilling holes in PVC to insert bullet pixels? If so, you need PVC that's large enough to capture the pixel. I used 1 inch so the full pixel is inside the pipe. The fixture was just a block with sides to capture the pipe with an extra drill bit stuck in it to match the drill for the holes. Offset the drill bit by hole spacing and clamp to your drill press. Make sure you draw a straight line down the length of the tube because, even fixtured, the holes will wander.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    So I understand, you are drilling holes in PVC to insert bullet pixels? If so, you need PVC that's large enough to capture the pixel. I used 1 inch so the full pixel is inside the pipe. The fixture was just a block with sides to capture the pipe with an extra drill bit stuck in it to match the drill for the holes. Offset the drill bit by hole spacing and clamp to your drill press. Make sure you draw a straight line down the length of the tube because, even fixtured, the holes will wander.
    What did you use to mount the 1" PVC to your house?

Post Thanks / Like

I did not use them to mount to the house. They were for an 8 foot tree. I use Chroma strips mounted to 1/2 inch emt for house and window outlines. I use three different attachment methods based on location (roof, eaves and brick, and windows).
    Ed
    Happily retired