Thread: Newbie, 16 channel Vixen 3.5u3 import question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie, 16 channel Vixen 3.5u3 import question

Just got into this, small time so far. I have found creating sequemces fun, but I'd like to utilize the sequences others have made. I can find them, but I don't know how to import them into Vixen. I'm sure its a VERY basic concept, but I wonder if anyone can help me with an explanation. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie, 16 channel Vixen 3.5u3 import question

this is a little more complex than you think several factors come into play here what type of file are you trying to import into you sequence is the first thing we would need to know is it a tim file a vix file ??
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose either/or. My Vixen saves sequences as .tim files, but there seem to be more shared .vix sequences out there. Can I import .vix and save them as .tim? Would all my routines have to be the same? Too new to know (just yet).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by empac99 View Post
    I suppose either/or. My Vixen saves sequences as .tim files, but there seem to be more shared .vix sequences out there. Can I import .vix and save them as .tim? Would all my routines have to be the same? Too new to know (just yet).
    VIX vs TIM is the difference between a Vixen 2 vs Vixen 3 sequence. Yes you can import Vixen 2 sequences into Vixen 3. If you have a LOR sequence, xLights has the ability to import LOR and output Vixen 2 (maybe even Vixen 3 by this point) which you can then import into Vixen 3. Same for native xLights sequences. Export from xLights to Vixen and then import into Vixen.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

5. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help. The issue I see is that I can't find the button/command in V3 to "import" any of these.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no import button. You simply open the sequence. If it's a TIM, and was created on your profile, it just opens. If it's a TIM, and it was created on a different profile, it will open blank because the elements required don't exist in your profile. If it's a VIX, it will trigger the import wizard where you map the source sequence to your profile.

Imported sequences should rarely be used as-is. And they should never be used as a guide for how to sequence. You will always need to manually go through the sequence and rework it. Imported sequences will never use proper Vixen effects. They'll always be imported as many little individual and separate pulse or set level effects. You'll need to go thru the sequence manually and analyze the patterns so you can reduce it using proper V3 effects. Usually you'll spend far more time processing these foreign sequences than you would have spent doing it from scratch. Sometimes, very simple and low channel count sequences can be played right after import, but even if it plays you won't be able to manipulate it in a useful way. In most cases, if the source sequences have any pixel effects, it's not even worth bothering. This is really only useful for old V2 (and similar) sequences that were originally designed for AC type lighting with a fairly low (<250) channel count.

8. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    VIX vs TIM is the difference between a Vixen 2 vs Vixen 3 sequence. Yes you can import Vixen 2 sequences into Vixen 3. If you have a LOR sequence, xLights has the ability to import LOR and output Vixen 2 (maybe even Vixen 3 by this point) which you can then import into Vixen 3. Same for native xLights sequences. Export from xLights to Vixen and then import into Vixen.
    we have found when you take a lor sequence and convert it in xlights to vix and them import into vix3 the file is so large it really doesn't work good
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks buddy. I'm having a blast and I thank you for your help.