Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composing on 64 bit machine running on a 32 bit machine

On The Dark Side Of The Moon (Really, LI - NY)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Composing on 64 bit machine running on a 32 bit machine

Hello All,

I have been out of the sequencing loop for a while. In the past I ran Renard controllers with AC outlets only. I intend to add pixels using a Sans Devices E6804. So I have to upgrade from Vixen 2 to 3. Now in the interim, my main machine that I am doing the programming on is a 64 bit machine running Windows 7. The machine that runs the show is a Win XP 32 bit machine. Yes, I understand that I have to upgrade that to Vixen 3, but I am wondering if there will be a problem composing a sequence on a 64 bit machine and then running that sequence on a 32 bit machine.

Thank you,

geo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Composing on 64 bit machine running on a 32 bit machine

As long as both machines are running the same version of Vixen and the sequences and channel counts are not so big as to run out of memory on the 32 bit machine, it should work.

Post Thanks / Like

The data format is exactly the same between the two versions. It will transfer and run just fine.

However, the 32bit version has much lower performance than the 64 bit. So things that run smoothly on the 64 may be choppy or lag on the 32 bit. How severe depends greatly on the size of your show and the complexity of the sequencing. You’ll just need to try it to find out.

There’s also the option to use something other than V3 to play the show on the 32 bit machine. You could use xschedule or even vixen 2. To do this you’ll need to export your sequences to the appropriate format. This takes the rendering complexity off of the player and ensures it plays smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Data is stored in the same format in both 32/64 versions of the software. Last year I did exactly what you are describing, editing sequences on a 64 bit box and running on an older 32 bit system.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks guys. I was just worried that I might run into a problem. The last time I did a full on Christmas to lights show was back in 2015. No, I wasn't dark, I just didn't do the music to lights the past few years. Now I want to get back into it and realized that now I also have a 64 bit machine in the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought vixen 3 didnt run on xp since it couldnt run the newer version of the ummm file ummm .net or something like that
    Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    The data format is exactly the same between the two versions. It will transfer and run just fine.

However, the 32bit version has much lower performance than the 64 bit. So things that run smoothly on the 64 may be choppy or lag on the 32 bit. How severe depends greatly on the size of your show and the complexity of the sequencing. You’ll just need to try it to find out.

There’s also the option to use something other than V3 to play the show on the 32 bit machine. You could use xschedule or even vixen 2. To do this you’ll need to export your sequences to the appropriate format. This takes the rendering complexity off of the player and ensures it plays smoothly.

James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    I thought vixen 3 didnt run on xp since it couldnt run the newer version of the ummm file ummm .net or something like that
    You’re absolutely right. I missed that in the OP. Win XP is no longer supported. You need to be on win7 minimum. Win10 preferred.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jukingeo View Post
    Ok, thanks guys. I was just worried that I might run into a problem. The last time I did a full on Christmas to lights show was back in 2015. No, I wasn't dark, I just didn't do the music to lights the past few years. Now I want to get back into it and realized that now I also have a 64 bit machine in the mix.
    Ditch the PC to run your show all together and get a Raspberry Pi 3. better performance and they are cheap. problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    You’re absolutely right. I missed that in the OP. Win XP is no longer supported. You need to be on win7 minimum. Win10 preferred.

Oooooo, that's not cool. But thanks for the heads up anyway. I am not 100% sure if the older machine could handle the upgrade. But it would be cool if it could, then both machines would be Windows 7 64 bit as my main machine is already Windows 7. The Win Xp machine is an older machine, but still an i-series intel.

Quote Originally Posted by JCook View Post
    Ditch the PC to run your show all together and get a Raspberry Pi 3. better performance and they are cheap. problem solved.
    I heard about that, but that doesn't run Vixen by virtue of it being a Linux based platform. I know it runs Falcon Player, but that is the problem...it is just a player. If I need to make a simple adjustment, I am going back and forth between machines with a USB memory stick. Also I don't know how to set one of these up and Christmas is fast approaching. Not sure if I want to undertake an entire system redo at this point.

Thanx guys!

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jukingeo View Post

I heard about that, but that doesn't run Vixen by virtue of it being a Linux based platform. I know it runs Falcon Player, but that is the problem...it is just a player. If I need to make a simple adjustment, I am going back and forth between machines with a USB memory stick. Also I don't know how to set one of these up and Christmas is fast approaching. Not sure if I want to undertake an entire system redo at this point.
    This is how A LOT of us do it. You sequence in Vixen , then you choose Sequence->Export ->Falcon sequence boom done. Now just load it into Pi running FPP. A lot of Xlights user run their shows on a Pi too. I'd be willing to bet more people us a Pi now than a PC. For some shows you'd need a pretty power and expensive PC whereas the Pi is cheap and has no issues running a big show.

They are not hard to set up.

Regarding going back and forth..I connect my Pi to my house wifi via the wlan connection and the etho output to my controllers. With Wifi you can upload your sequences from your "Sequencing" computer to the Pi to run the show. The FPP software is awesome, they are rock solid and very reliable.

You can connect the Pi and your sequence PC on the same network, test your sequences from Vixen then upload into the Pi for the "show". Make sure Vixen is closed before testing on the Pi if they are on the same network as it will cause undesired results, flickering etc.

11. Likes ezellner liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast