Thread: Never Late Than Better

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never Late Than Better

Greetings my fellow lighting lunatics. I am Levi T. Ironhawk III. Call me Ironhawk. I have always loved Christmas lights. I remember the first time I saw that original Wizards of Winter video and thinking..."That was the most amazing thing ever." I never thought it was within my reach until I found this forum. Now I feel like a kid in a candy shop; an extremely ignorant kid albeit, but a kid nonetheless. I hope you will indulge my stupidity as I have read and watched so much, but still I am confused on several points. I have several conventional light displays and some LED lights and it looks like (at this late date) I could use this LOR controller [URL="http://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html"] to manipulate them into a show. I could just plug each section of lights I want to manipulate through this box and via the sequencing software, and viola, a controllable light show. Is that correct? I would gladly accept any recommendations you have regarding different controllers, but I know our/my time is running short for the upcoming season. I am also carefully measuring my roof and windows to get some C9 rgb's to add as well. I was looking at Holiday Coro for their Alphapix controller for the RGB's and their strawberry brilliant bulbs (only because of time - I would love to build my own for next year). I am stretching the limits of my knowledge and may even be speaking gibberish for all I know. If I'm on the right track, give me a thumbs up. If nothing I've said makes sense, welcome to my world. I appreciate any advice you have for me. Cheers!

2. Likes rtificial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Never Late Than Better

you subscribed to the forum, so you're on the right track! ;-)

4. Thanks Ironhawk thanked for this post
    Likes Ironhawk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could go to the sale section of this sight and buy a couple of the renard boards for sale, some of the spt1 and some vamp plugs. do a little sequencing and be up and going before thanksgiving. The renard boards seem to be really popular here and have great support also. Any way you go, be careful. this is addictive and your billfold might not like you much after you get started.

6. Thanks Ironhawk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ this

100%
    [2017] 32 Renard Channels, 3360 LED Lights
    [2018] 240 Renard Channels, 14070 LED Lights, 2 projectors, and one donkey

8. Thanks Ironhawk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a step ahead of you as this is my second year. I have learned that you can use a Renard controller and Vixen or XLights software to do the same thing as Lightorama and their software for a fraction of the price.
    This late in the season, I'd suggest looking for a used Renard to save the time otherwise needed to assemble the board(s) and program the PICs. You will also need an appropriate dongle to communicate with the controller.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

10. Thanks Ironhawk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iím just wrapping up year one...started in January getting ready for this holiday season and I really did need all that time! I think the rule of 3 applies here. Whatever you think you will spend, multiply times 3 and that might get you in the ballpark. Same goes for time spent. Iím also learning that Iíll never be satisfied...the addiction is real. Have fun but make sure you keep your life priorities straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks Ironhawk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like everybody above, I would recommend you purchase one of the used Renard Boards that are currently being offered on the forum. I started in a similar place about 7 years ago, I was about ready to put down some serious cash for LOR, then found this site and Renard. I have never looked back. I still use all my Renards (currently 6) for a total of 256 channels even though I am also using a Falcon board to run pixels as well.

Welcome to the madness!
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

14. Thanks Ironhawk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hello there and welcome to our madness I myself also use the alphapixs for my pixel lights and I have renards for my regular strings of lights good luck with your show limited time is hard to get things working and setup so think small this yr and just do what you can for now and take next yr to learn and plan and get what you need and have a great show
    James WinterHaven Fl

16. Thanks Ironhawk thanked for this post