Thread: This forum has come such a LONG way !

Post Thanks / Like

Default This forum has come such a LONG way !

This might sound kinda strange , but I was just doing some reminiscing about the "old" days here... And was just wondering if anybody else see's how fast this "hobby" progressed in such a SHORT time ?
    I remember starting out with a simple ON/OFF 8 channel parallel port mechanical clicky clacky ( relays ) then I REALLY stepped up and got SOOOO mind blown wiring up a HILL 320 and fitting it into an old Windows 95 PC case I gutted . And then from there ... I went to a Olsen 595 . Shortly after , someone came up with the REN W and the REN T so the OLSEN and the GRINCH could have dimming . What a MAJOR accomplishment ! Then to the Renard boards thanks to others and Frank K . And the rest .... well .... the rest just keeps getting more and more complex with each new advancement .
    One thing I can say and WILL say --- Thanks to all that WAS here , and of course , to those that are the "old timers" that are still here , that we would not , and COULD not do without !
    I myself only felt comfortable going as far as Vixen 2.1 and staying there. I am also not a spring chicken and not really a fan of the pixel thingy . ( looks too much like Vegas to me and not a home with Christmas lights - sorry , just my opinion )
    I am stuck on incans and Vixen 2.1 and Renard boards. As a matter of fact , I STILL use one of Frank K's Renard 24 prototype boards in my display !
    So , anybody else want to chime in and reminisce of the "days of old " ?
    And let us not forget good old Brian ( Macrosill ) for keeping this site going all these years
    And would someone help me out here .... Wasn't it KC that wrote VIXEN programming originally ? ( If it wasn't , my apologies )

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: This forum has come such a LONG way !

Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost2 View Post
    This might sound kinda strange , but I was just doing some reminiscing about the "old" days here... And was just wondering if anybody else see's how fast this "hobby" progressed in such a SHORT time ?
    I remember starting out with a simple ON/OFF 8 channel parallel port mechanical clicky clacky ( relays ) then I REALLY stepped up and got SOOOO mind blown wiring up a HILL 320 and fitting it into an old Windows 95 PC case I gutted . And then from there ... I went to a Olsen 595 . Shortly after , someone came up with the REN W and the REN T so the OLSEN and the GRINCH could have dimming . What a MAJOR accomplishment ! Then to the Renard boards thanks to others and Frank K . And the rest .... well .... the rest just keeps getting more and more complex with each new advancement .
    One thing I can say and WILL say --- Thanks to all that WAS here , and of course , to those that are the "old timers" that are still here , that we would not , and COULD not do without !
    I myself only felt comfortable going as far as Vixen 2.1 and staying there. I am also not a spring chicken and not really a fan of the pixel thingy . ( looks too much like Vegas to me and not a home with Christmas lights - sorry , just my opinion )
    I am stuck on incans and Vixen 2.1 and Renard boards. As a matter of fact , I STILL use one of Frank K's Renard 24 prototype boards in my display !
    So , anybody else want to chime in and reminisce of the "days of old " ?
    And let us not forget good old Brian ( Macrosill ) for keeping this site going all these years
    And would someone help me out here .... Wasn't it KC that wrote VIXEN programming originally ? ( If it wasn't , my apologies )
    You are so right, it seems the last couple of years the technology has just exploded. I'm an old fart too, and must confess I enjoyed the simplicity of 2.1 (which seemed pretty difficult at first......lol) but I'm trying to keep up some, so I muddle thru now with xlights and pixels. Yes, it was K.C. K.C Oaks is da man!!

3. Likes zaker, jderba liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There a lots of folks that still run AC string lights in their displays.
    I don't see them ever going away. The look is just so different than pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

All AC here as well. I have to confess I have replaced all my C9 ceramic Incandenct bulbs to C9 LEDs (primarily to aid in some minor power issues). This will be my first year with the LEDs, we will see what it looks like.

I have thought about pixels, but just cannot bring myself to switching things out because of the “modern” look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I joined this site back in 2011 and it was already very well developed. At the time pixels were not much of a topic on here... more so on the Aussie site. I started of with a non dimmable on/off display after hacking a Lights and Sounds of Christmas box I bought at Home Depot and then built my Renards in 2012. I never thought I would go to pixels because I didn't believe they could be sequenced like AC shows. It just seemed more effect based and not as if you could actually sequence to music well with them... That all eventually changed and people started to do amazing shows with them. I don't prefer mixing pixels with AC lights, so I eventually made the switch to pixels. I haven't done a show in 3 years. I don't know if I will ever do one again, but I'm still on the site usually everyday and love this forum. I appreciate all of the knowledge that is shared and the creativity of the people here.
    [url]http://www.facebook.com/LightsOnGildayCourt[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I gotta know. You know all of this history but your join date is this summer. Soooooo, who are you?
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I am a member who had other user names , but , when I changed PC's and upgraded , I forgot my password and just made a new user name . This last time was due to both , my forgetting my password AND I changed ISP , so I couldn't just have a password sent to me .
    My last user name is/was JackFrost without the 2 . I think I've been around since 2008 ? Or sometime around there ... lol

Ah , and BTW Wayne ... I remember this happened once before a LONG time ago ... but your website is not accessible . ( view pic )
    WAYNE website.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jackfrost2; 11-10-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a relative newbie on this forum. Joined in 2011 just as the pixel boom was starting. Fo thirty years I had pure incans on a timer. I wanted to have a bit more control so went to a planet christmas mini. loved what I saw but quickly realized that the real work was being done on the DIY red and green sites. I joined this site just to get a chance to talk to Phil Short and KC. I did accomplish both of those tasks and I now have a very customized image on my Ren 64 that supports per pic channel counts, per channel inversion, per channel pwm, in place configuration AND firmware upgrades (I can change the firmware and send it to the controllers without bringing them in the house) . Started adding pixels to the show and love the combined look. Alas, all of my incans are gone but there are still AC elements in the show and I suspect there always will be.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

We have come a long way. My first controllers were 2 64 channel home etched Olsen595's with home etched 4ch ssr's back in 2006 or so.

Who remembers sequencing with Comet? KC got so frustrated with it crashing all the time he decided to write Vixen 1 for us. The days of us in the chat room testing Vixen and posting the unhandled exceptions were good times. Especially when we would post all the flashing stars in the chat and freeze everyones PC. LOL. What about the night everyone came into the chat with some variation of the username Wizard. ROFLMAO.

We have grown and with that comes growing pains. A large community loses the sense of small community.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG....the Wizard night!!!! That was too fun!!!
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas