Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5v pixel jst connectors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5v pixel jst connectors

I use JST connectors for all of my connections. I put a bit of Corrosion-X gun oil on them and never have a moisture problem. With that said, I do have reliability issues with them. Most often it is an issue with the way the wire is crimped (or not properly crimped) that becomes an issue. Abut 15% of the connecters end up with at least one wire that just falls out of the back of the connector. The ones that are well crimped have been working for 5 years now.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used JST connectors for both the 5v Plasma Icicles and 12v Pixel Fire Sticks and 24V RBLs. here is what I found to be the case:
    1. 5v units without dielectric grease were under the eves of the house but exposed to the air and had zero issues
    2. 12v units without dielectric grease did ok for one season but when I was pulling things down I noticed that where I forgot the grease they started to sulfate.
    3. 12v units with dielectric grease, no issues.
    4. 24v units without dielectric grease had sulfation issues as soon as they got wet. I had to go back thru every single one and clean them and put the grease on them. After that 100% good.

The higher the voltage differential between pins the more immediate the problem with sulfation became. Almost always the sulfate grew quickly between the V+ and the Data lines. My theory is the Data lines are pulsating DC (0v - 5v) and the V+ is the highest potential causing the greatest differential and allowing the fast growth of the sulfate.

With that said, I used the JST connectors because I liked the size and they came standard on the 24v LED pucks I used for the RBLs. I had Ray put them on the Plasma Icicles 2.0 because they were small and easy to use. Since I ran those at 5v and they were not exposed directly to any rain, they had zero issues and were clean as far as I could tell when I pulled them down from the house.

Bottom Line: If you use the JST connectors anywhere they can see direct moisture and/or above 5v, I would put the dielectric grease on them, and I mean in the joint before connection them and on the back sides where the wires come in. That is where most of my sulfation took place, on the back side.20171117_143632.jpg
    Last edited by plasmadrive; 11-06-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: pic added

3. Thanks angus40, oldcaptainrusty thanked for this post
    Likes angus40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    You must have a short memory span or a selective type of memory when it come to weather facts .
    Here is the past 25 years of snow fall for Vancouver .
    https://vancouver.weatherstats.ca/ch...ow-yearly.html
    Excluding the odd ball last few years, living where I do in Deep cove, it may snow, but it doesn't stick all that often. Our geography makes it so that you can have sunshine in one place, drive 5 minutes, and have crazy downpour and storms. Huge snow accumulation variation depending where you live. Used to live in upper lonsdale, night and day to now lol. Anyways, I meant that most of our American friends here assume Canada=north pole weather. I've even had a guy from New Jersey ask me in all seriousness, if I rode my dog sled to school

We are the odd ball climate in our little nook vs the rest of the country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    I have used JST connectors for both the 5v Plasma Icicles and 12v Pixel Fire Sticks and 24V RBLs. here is what I found to be the case:
    1. 5v units without dielectric grease were under the eves of the house but exposed to the air and had zero issues
    2. 12v units without dielectric grease did ok for one season but when I was pulling things down I noticed that where I forgot the grease they started to sulfate.
    3. 12v units with dielectric grease, no issues.
    4. 24v units without dielectric grease had sulfation issues as soon as they got wet. I had to go back thru every single one and clean them and put the grease on them. After that 100% good.

The higher the voltage differential between pins the more immediate the problem with sulfation became. Almost always the sulfate grew quickly between the V+ and the Data lines. My theory is the Data lines are pulsating DC (0v - 5v) and the V+ is the highest potential causing the greatest differential and allowing the fast growth of the sulfate.

With that said, I used the JST connectors because I liked the size and they came standard on the 24v LED pucks I used for the RBLs. I had Ray put them on the Plasma Icicles 2.0 because they were small and easy to use. Since I ran those at 5v and they were not exposed directly to any rain, they had zero issues and were clean as far as I could tell when I pulled them down from the house.

Bottom Line: If you use the JST connectors anywhere they can see direct moisture and/or above 5v, I would put the dielectric grease on them, and I mean in the joint before connection them and on the back sides where the wires come in. That is where most of my sulfation took place, on the back side.20171117_143632.jpg
    Excellent review Craig based on your experience with these .

I lost patience with them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Excellent review Craig based on your experience with these .

I lost patience with them
    I was going to try using 4 pin this year with the V+ at pin one, V- pin 3 and Data pin 4, but since I went dark never got around to it.. I am guessing that at some point the distance might be enough to mitigate the sulfation.. maybe..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12