Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Help

    Okay so I know I need an audrino mega I can pick one up for 15 dollars on Amazon. I know I want to individually control 80 separate 150 LED light strings. How many power supplies do I need and is their anything else I may need?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    9,018
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help

    Do the math. Multiply the current draw or wattage for one of the light strings by 80. Are they DC or AC strings of LEDs?

    Example: If each string takes 100 watts, 80 of them would take 8000 watts. (They probably take less than 100w).

    If they're DC lights, you won't find many DC power supplies that can deliver that much juice so you'll have to divide it down into a manageable number.

    If they're AC lights, consider the formula: AMPS x VOLTS = WATTS. A typical 15 amp house circuit can be safely used at 12A current draw (80%, leaving 20% for surges and safety). 12amps x 115 volts = 1380 watts.

    Do the math.

    Oh, is there anything else you need? Yeah. Lots. Go read the beginners section in the Wiki (see the menu option near the top of the page?).

    http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

  3. Likes Bwinter, Ruppro, mikel3332 liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help

    Wow okay I'll figure it out through YouTube nvm

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    726
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help

    Assuming your 80 strings of led lights are 120vac type -

    If you want to use an Arduino MEGA as your controller, you will need either TWO or THREE of them to control 80 channels.
    You will also need to get 80 channels of SSR's for the direct connection to the light strings.
    You will need a sketch to run on the MEGA.
    If you want DIMMING, I suggest using the ZParticle sketch. (will need 3 MEGAs)
    If you do not want DIMMING, I suggest using the Victor_PV sketch. (will need 2 MEGAs)
    If you want dimming, you will need to buy/build a Zero Cross circuit.
    If you want dimming and use the ZParticle sketch, you will need a USB to TTL adapter.
    You will need lots of extension cords or other means of extending the power from the SSR to wherever your strings will be located.

    If you decide to go down this road, start now and read the ZParticle and Victor_PV threads. Also search for my threads. Read through the Wiki.
    Ask lots of questions.
    Kevin

    2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •