Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soldering Pigtails

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Soldering Pigtails

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    A little forward???????? Why do you feel the need to challenge every post I make??????????????? You may not realize it, but you do. I guess I knida see where your member name originates..........
    Sorry you feel that way, but up until post 6 we were sharing how we did things.....you then told me my process was a "waste or time." Maybe you need to look in the mirror before making those statements.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Lets keep it civil gentlemen.

While I dont agree with soldered lap joints either, a big part of this forum is learning about what works as much as it is what is the best way. And when best is subjective to the specifics of the situation, its good to learn about all the options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks TomL8345 thanked for this post
    Likes ezellner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was doing pixel repairs last night. After going thru 120 solder seal splices, I needed to order more. I noticed on a few of the amazon listings there were two different instructions on different listings. One said to twist the wires before sliding the splice over and heating. (And showed a picture of poorly twisted wires). The other said to just insert the wires from either end and heat.
    When I do them I dont twist. So I guess thats a lap joint. But they also have adhesive in the splice so it provides additional mechanical support. I also only use this kind of splice where the wires or adjacent pixels are already supported. I dont use these on free hanging wires and definitely not those under tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ebay is your friend.
    Look for Solder Butt Splice

Just one sample listing.

Just saying after rebuilding the Mega rose for the third time this year, these are slick

100PCS Solder Sleeve Heat Shrink Butt Waterproof 26-10 AWG Wire Splice Connector

• 100% brand new and high-quality made.
    • These High-quality heat shrink butt splice connectors for wire connection that provides excellent waterproof sealing and protection from mechanical damage combined with Anti-Corrosion effect.
    • Just heat these solder seal wire connectors and they will easily connect both sides of the wires and seal them up to make a reliable waterproof connection.
    • The outer layer of connector tube is made from polymer that shrinks under the heat and two glue compound circles on both sides of a tube, which will seal the connection and will make it waterproof.

Specification:

• Shrink ratio 2:1
    • Minimum recommended shrink temperature: 80C / 176F
    • Minimum recommended solder melting temperature: 138C / 280.4F
    • For best results we recommend the use a heat gun!
    • No wire damage due to low shrink temperature
    • Best shrink temperatures: 125C - 130C / 257F - 266F

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lets get serious, I have over 10,000 channels on my back, just where do you want to start counting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123