Thread: Boscoyo Large 180 Mini Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boscoyo Large 180 Mini Tree

Hello. I tried downloading the layout for these in Xlights straight from Boscoyo like I did the snowflakes, but these are not available. Can anyone provide a little guidance on how these should be setup in the layout section of Xlights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Boscoyo Large 180 Mini Tree

You just use the built-in tree and then make a separate star model which is also built-in to xlights. There is no model that includes both. Would be nice though.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply. I can create the tree and star, I am unsure on how to set it up in xlights. Rows, strings, etc. On the controller do I select zig zag? Reverse? I left the bottom 5 holes open and just ran one continuous string through the tree, up through star and back out to the tree (please see picture). This gave me an exact 100 pixels. Maybe there is a better easier way to run the lights for xlights? I am open to all suggestions. Thank you
    Mini Tree w star.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping someone tells me I'm wrong, but wiring your star right in the middle of the tree does not make this easy.
    You can continue down this path, and create a custom model either manually or via the "tools->Generate Custom Model" method which requires a video camera. Then you could manually create sub-models for the star and the tree.

But if you only wired the 1 tree and not 10 of them, your better option might be to re-wire it correctly. You would zig-zag the strand through the tree first, then continue to the star. The xlights star model likes the first pixel to be in the crotch of the star. Before wiring, go to xlights and in your layout tab add both the tree and star as separate models. Your tree would be set to 80 nodes/string and 5 strands/string and number of strings=1. The built in star model you would set to nodes/string=20 and # Points=5. Then on each model in the graphic view, right click the model and select "wiring diagram" for a back side view of how to wire them.
    A single port on the controller could be set to 100 pixels (no zig-zag necessary) and then you set the "start channel" of the tree to the appropriate setting for the controller. The start channel for the star should be set to "end of model" and then pick the mini tree as the model that it follow.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Very detailed explanation, and it does make sense to do it this way. I only completed 4 trees so it wouldn't be much to change them around to match your suggestion. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pmbarber View Post
    Thank you! Very detailed explanation, and it does make sense to do it this way. I only completed 4 trees so it wouldn't be much to change them around to match your suggestion. Thanks again!
    My pleasure to help. I'm only on my 2nd year in this hobby, and I had PLENTY of help on these forums. My very first prop I mis-wired but it was too complicated to re-do. I was taught how to "generate custom model" and it worked.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on building these as well, but I use Vixen.

Attached is the layout I used. Like you, I also skipped the bottom hole of each panel so I could use 100 pixels instead of 105. So 80 pixels on the tree ( 16 pixels x 5 rows) and 20 pixels for the star. I'll model the tree as a mega tree and since the normal layout for a megatree (at least in Vixen) starts on the left, that is where I started my tree.

I'm using 5V pixels so I also needed to do power injection. You may need to also even if doing 12V pixels. I have a lot of extra male 3-pin pigtail connectors, so I spliced on some 2-conductor wire and then spliced that in to the start of the starting string. (Picture below) Make sure you are connecting plus (+) to plus and GND (-) to GND and definitely don't connect to DATA.

MiniTree.JPG splice.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

The star looks great with only 15 pixels in it. I use 85 for the tree and 15 for the star. Exactly 100 lights.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga