Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RBL Knock-Off?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RBL Knock-Off?

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    I like this bulb size so much that I am going to make copies in near clear material then buy some more for the caps .
    Also these do not require many pixels to illuminate nice , 10 is actually overkill but I did it anyway .
    I can't figure out what you're talking about. Yesterday you said you would "follow the original designers lead and install strip precisely as done". Today you said that you put 10 pixels in them. You also said "what I discovered is that creative thought went into them" but I just looked at them in the store and they're very basic. Are you talking about the same product that's linked?

The ones I saw in the store are exactly as the ones linked. They're rated for indoor use and have a switch on top that's probably not water proof. You would have to cover that area to make sure it doesn't fill with water. You have to turn each one on individually at approximately the same time. They're supposed to stay on for 6 hours and turn off for 18. I think they could be modified to add some of the larger 40mm or larger pixels and to also be waterproof.

RBL_Light.jpeg
    RBL_BatteryCompartment.jpeg
    RBL_BatteryOperated.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcamron View Post
    I can't figure out what you're talking about. Yesterday you said you would "follow the original designers lead and install strip precisely as done". Today you said that you put 10 pixels in them. You also said "what I discovered is that creative thought went into them" but I just looked at them in the store and they're very basic. Are you talking about the same product that's linked?

The ones I saw in the store are exactly as the ones linked. They're rated for indoor use and have a switch on top that's probably not water proof. You would have to cover that area to make sure it doesn't fill with water. You have to turn each one on individually at approximately the same time. They're supposed to stay on for 6 hours and turn off for 18. I think they could be modified to add some of the larger 40mm or larger pixels and to also be waterproof.

RBL_Light.jpeg
    RBL_BatteryCompartment.jpeg
    RBL_BatteryOperated.jpeg
    This may better describe what I was trying to convey to the OP.
    Sorry if my ramblings confused your intellect .

Post Thanks / Like

This is the light before any modification . No flash or any room light , just the fixture with its own leds.

Being that the bulbs exterior color is what defined the original ac bulbs , I thought it would be fun to keep with that tradition
    and go as far as sequencing the filament pixel's color and intensity separately from the ( 9 hidden pixels which will be the illuminating color of the bulb .
    And to have the filament pixel always resemble the filaments of old .

Will show video of after mods once complete.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clarifying. I thought you might be talking about a different product. You mod looks really good. I’m interested in how that looks with different colors. Good luck!

5. Thanks angus40 thanked for this post
    Likes angus40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are 8 of these fixtures converted and sealed from leaks .
    A point to note is that the push button & the hook for hanging do leak so take precaution to seal them well .
    I left these out in the rainy weather here to test them for leaks and each one had issues .
    Solved by removing both the switch and hook then adding a liberal amount of hot glue and replacing them.
    Once cured , as insurance I added hot glue externally as well .

Last edited by angus40; 11-30-2018 at 05:16 PM.

7. Likes outbreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mounted these on my gutter with some clips I made up from metal coat hanger wire .
    I think they look reasonably well and will finish converting enough to completely cover my house .
    These will most likely be all the lights I put up this year .
    Thanks again for creating this thread which inspired me to get some of these .

9. Likes dcamron, outbreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good! I just got home from my deployment and am printing the adapters now. It’s going to take a while...

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought some white ones too for next year. I feel bad RBL didn't make it, but I'm glad to be able to get these for a decent price. I'd buy more real RBL's instead but he prices ($60 for five) is quite steep.

12. Likes outbreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    Any chance you could post some videos when you get one going? Iím very interested in this!
    Not sure how this would apply to the knock offs.. but here is the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-QY...ature=youtu.be

14. Likes angus40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see what you come up with. I purchased the only two white round bulbs that I have seen this year and was thinking they would work with pumpkin faces painted on them or better yet print some pumpkin face to use for halloween and save the round bulb for Christmas.

angus40
    Supporting Member

Join DateDec 2011Posts5,658Post Thanks / Like

Re: RBL Knock-Off?

I like this bulb size so much that I am going to make copies in near clear material then buy some more for the caps .
    Also these do not require many pixels to illuminate nice , 10 is actually overkill but I did it anyway .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12