Thread: suggestions on power injection

Post Thanks / Like

Default suggestions on power injection

I've got a 12 string megatree with 5v pixels, so I know power injection will be a requirement on each string.

I'm not sure how I should/could/would do this correctly. My controller is one of those espixelsticks, so I will need to add fuses as we get into the power injection.

If my power will be close to the megatree and I intend to run power to the bottom of each leg. What gauge of wire should I use? How do I decide what size fuse to run? What other notes to learn how I figure this out myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: suggestions on power injection

Well 1st off you have to tell us how many pixels per string.....
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    Well 1st off you have to tell us how many pixels per string.....
    50 pixels per string

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a quick tool for figuring out power injection: http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx
    Just do it in a zigzag as if all one string and inject every second leg (every 100 pixels).
    Power requirements should be around 36amps so you will be fine with one 350W 5V power supply. I would recommend you get a power distribution board like the 8 port from CFOL or the 4 port one's from holiday lighting: https://holiday.lighting/psdorderform
    I use 16 gauge wire for power injection.
    Keep in mind this is for 100% brightness so you can get by with less if you run your pixels at lower intensity.....YMMV.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

^^That’s what I’d do. Get a distro board like the Falcon F8 or one from Crockett’s that has fuses on it already. You’ll spend nearly as much buying the fuse housings.

Post Thanks / Like

One nice thing about the holidaylighting board is that it was tested for current carrying capability and voltage drop. That is the reason you find the lug style screw down input connectors. They found other connector styles did not perform adequately. See the wiki for documentation. The development thread was interesting to follow.

7. Likes Ruppro liked this post