Thread: Ambitious thinking: 3d Printing a megatree topper!?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ambitious thinking: 3d Printing a megatree topper!?

So, apart from a few clips, I've been trying to think of ways to use my 3d printer with my xmas display. One thing I don't yet have, don't particularly feel like getting gouged on (cost or shipping), and also don't have ideal traditional buld abilities for...Is a mega tree topper. In terms of cutting it right and getting the holes spaced properly etc etc....I'm feeling like maybe there's an opportunity here. The machine in question is an Anet A8, so print area is relegated to 200mm x 200 mm. I'm thinking the topper I will need will probably need to be at least 14-16" minimum in diameter. I will have 16 strings all on the front 180 degrees, so there has to be room for pixel strips or mounting bolts/hardware. Full build area IF I could actually get every last bit of it is 7.87". My best guess as to how this would be possible, would be to print it in chunks or slices that are then assembled into the circular shape and somehow secured. Possibly with metal plates to support the joints. That's just my thinking, no idea if that's feasible or if anyone has seen it done (or seen a model for that matter). That would leave the concern of the center joint. I usually thread the topper into the top of threaded pipe, but not entirely sure how that would work if it's broken into chunks. Any ideas or thoughts encouraged

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ambitious thinking: 3d Printing a megatree topper!?

I don't think a 3D printed part would have the strength for something like a tree topper. You could however use it to print a template that you could then use to cut and drill one out of something more substantial like steel.

3. Likes Ruppro, Keith R liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I don't think a 3D printed part would have the strength for something like a tree topper. You could however use it to print a template that you could then use to cut and drill one out of something more substantial like steel.
    That would be my first thought as well...But have you seen just how strong ABS 3d printed is? Big difference between ABS filament and standard filament. In fact, I believe it's what is used for the plastic tree toppers you see for sale. It's very difficult to put a black and white value or line on this, and say this is your load capacity, and you would be above or below it. So much of it depends on the thickness, fill, among other things. But for the sake of exploration, let's assume the material itself is strong enough to handle the load if it was secured

Post Thanks / Like

I did a 290 pixel 6 ring star in AutoCad, as Boysco shipping a coro one to Alaska was prohibitively expensive. I had a local sheetmetal shop lazer it out in aluminum, and a 1/4 plate steel topper for a total cost of $230 for both. Both are very solid and durable. I have the .dxf files if interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, you could print 4 of something like this and bolt the webs together.

Capture99.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, you could print 4 of something like this and bolt the webs together.

Capture99.JPG
    That may be just the ticket! is that a model file? Do you know where the source is?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, it's something I created using SketchUp as it was easier and quicker than trying to describe. If you do me a drawing (or drawings) by hand with dimensions, bolt hole sizes and rough positions and the thickness you estimate you’ll need I’ll draw them up and post the files. If you are only doing a 180 tree you’ll only need two as the back can be smaller and printed in one part. Will this slide on the pole or be fixed at the top?

Post Thanks / Like

As to strength.. here is a video giving you some idea of the strength of the parts when glued. I have used the 3dgloop and it worked really well.
    https://youtu.be/qfBLdiyoRdI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, it's something I created using SketchUp as it was easier and quicker than trying to describe. If you do me a drawing (or drawings) by hand with dimensions, bolt hole sizes and rough positions and the thickness you estimate you’ll need I’ll draw them up and post the files. If you are only doing a 180 tree you’ll only need two as the back can be smaller and printed in one part. Will this slide on the pole or be fixed at the top?
    Wait, you just threw that together as a demo for this question? Quite impressive. I'm most likely going to be 16 strings mounted in either pixel mounting strips like boysco style, or 3/4" wide plastic strapping (if it works! tbd). Last year, I just had a traditional round topper with 16 holes spread near the edge of the front 180. Strips are I believe 1-1/4" wide...So I haven't actually settled on any kind of dimensions or specifics. Open to suggestions. I would assume it's better safe than sorry if you don't want overcrowding, so as to ensure at least 1-1/4" between holes. Other than that, no hard numbers at this time. Last year, I used 1/4" threaded rod with a nut through the hole of the topper, then threaded on a 1" pipe hangar. Not sure if that system still works with this?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. When you finalise the numbers if you let me know I’ll draw it up for you.