Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Network Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Network Question

You should be able to login to your WiFi access point from a computer connected to that AP. If connecting with a Windows computer, you can look in the WiFi status (from the tray) to find the computer’s IP address. From your computer’s IP address you can deduce what your AP’s address is. If your computers’s IPv4 address is something like 192.168.1.???, your AP is probably at 192.168.1.1.

Once you know your AP’s address hit that with the web browser of your choice. Log into the AP and look for a WiFi status page. There should be a list of connected devices along with their IP addresses.

You may, also, be able to attach an IP address to the MAC address of your PixelStick(s). Then when your PixelSticks connect, even with a DHCP setting, they will always receive the same IP address.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually (I forgot to mention) you can access each ESPixelStick with their host name (if assigned)
    So for my Mega Tree first radio; I access as mtree1.local (my system home network needs the .local to work show network doesn't)
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 11-01-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redcardinal View Post
    You should be able to login to your WiFi access point from a computer connected to that AP. If connecting with a Windows computer, you can look in the WiFi status (from the tray) to find the computer’s IP address. From your computer’s IP address you can deduce what your AP’s address is. If your computers’s IPv4 address is something like 192.168.1.???, your AP is probably at 192.168.1.1.
    This is really only sound advice if the AP is a router. When the AP is part of the router, you'll find it at the gateway's advice. However, an AP that's just an AP could have any IP. And if it's taking a DHCP address, it's likely not on .1

There's a great little free utility called "Angry IP Scanner" for scanning a network for the IP addresses of all of the hosts in an IP range. You can specify a network range and scan it. It'll return all of the IPs that are alive, their IP addresses, hostnames and mac addresses, and it'll even look up the mac addresses and give you the manufacturer. It's great for finding thing on the network and helping you figure out what's what.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Jon. I got it mostly working by setting everything up dhcp and using a router with WiFi turned off. Not happy with the coverage on my TP-Link Omada ap. Not all my controllers are getting all the data. I was going to mount on the peak of my roof because I want coverage for the neighbors on both sides of me for their lights. I have it set at 20mhz and tried on high medium and low power. Might have to put it in the middle of my yard for good coverage but I have mature trees too. My phone picks up the signal from 300-400 feet away.

Post Thanks / Like

This is only running 6 controllers right now with roughly 250 pixels. I am planning on running about 20 of these for my Christmas show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLStout View Post
    Thanks for that Jon. I got it mostly working by setting everything up dhcp and using a router with WiFi turned off. Not happy with the coverage on my TP-Link Omada ap. Not all my controllers are getting all the data. I was going to mount on the peak of my roof because I want coverage for the neighbors on both sides of me for their lights. I have it set at 20mhz and tried on high medium and low power. Might have to put it in the middle of my yard for good coverage but I have mature trees too. My phone picks up the signal from 300-400 feet away.
    Which AP do you have? It looks like there's several variations in the omada line.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could it be something I need to change in the settings? My house is all stucco and the controllers are sitting right next to the house where the lights are. Should I be locating them a little away from the house? Like 1 or 2 feet?

Post Thanks / Like

if there's metal lathe in the stucco, then yes, you really need to get some separation between then controllers and the house. Even if there isn't, you're going to get much better performance if your radios are separated from any solid surface by a good 10-12"

Here's a good read on line of sight, and Fresnel zones

And here's one on maximizing WiFi Range and performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for that Jon. I will try putting everything away from the walls and see how we do.

Post Thanks / Like

I am waiting for some extension cables to pull those controllers away from the house a little, but man you would think that AP would get there anyway. I can hold it in the middle of my yard so it's only 20-30 feet away and it still doesn't work right. Worried a little now, because I was planning on only using this to do my neighbor's house too. I may need to put another one in repeater mode at his house.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast