Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Network Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Network Question

Setting up my GECE ESpixel sticks. Been doing a lot of searching through the forums on what people are doing for a wireless show AP. I bought a TPLink Omada outdoor AP. Have it connected to a standard network switch, no router. My Rasberry PI and laptop are also connected to the network switch. Assigned static IP addresses to the AP, Computer, Rasberry PI, and GECE sticks. Is there any need to be connected to a router connected to the internet?

Reason I'm asking, is I had some issues yesterday with my AP not responding anymore and had to take it down and reprogram. I suspect that I forgot to save any changes and the automatic daily reboot of the AP was turned on to happen at midnight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Network Question

Unless you have a real time clock on the PI, your PI will need to be able to access Internet based NTP servers in order to know the correct time. Without that access, it will not be able to start and stop schedules at the correct time. Now, if you have your PI on both your home network and your show network, your PI can access the NTP time servers from your home network. Other than that, I don't think anything else needs Internet access.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

I run my system isolated from the internet…..just need to manually set the time once in a while, because it looses 2-3 seconds a day, otherwise everything is good.

For Switch vs Router . . . I think somewhere in the system you should have a router. I tried a switch too, but the router was a snap.
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 10-31-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

So just any old router instead of the switch? What would you need that for if you are not using DHCP?

Post Thanks / Like

im just using a AC1200 with 10 ESP's

no need for internet lik eothers have stated, except for the time clocks. i am using a Laptop for the show soooo.

everything is DHCP, multicast
    [2017] 32 Renard Channels, 3360 LED Lights
    [2018] 240 Renard Channels, 14070 LED Lights, 2 projectors, and one donkey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLStout View Post
    So just any old router instead of the switch? What would you need that for if you are not using DHCP?
    Yes, MOST any old router, but with AP, I turn the radio off on the WiFi units. I'm 100% ESP and DHCP Multicast works best for me.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised by the DHCP instead of static IP. Do you have your router connected to the internet or standalone? Will it issue ips if not connected to the internet? The thing I was worried about if using dhcp is interference from my home network which uses dhcp.

Post Thanks / Like

No, not connected and not required to be connected. I run an isolated show with desktop access on demand. To update FPP, I either bring the Pi into the office and connect cable connect (DHCP so automatic connect) or, pull the uSD and plug it into another Pi with internet connection. The only issue I have is the clock.....one day I'll do a Real Time Clock add-on. DHCP is a function of the router, not the internet.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

So, Mr Grumpy, if you need to access the web page of your pixelsticks, how do you know what IP address to put in to get online with them if they are all DHCP?

Post Thanks / Like

I mark them when they are flashed.....the flash tool tells me what was assigned. When put in service, I put that address in the FPP.....it does not need it but helps me when I forget.
    I have a bunch of the ESP-01's and can find grouping IP addresses, like 10.0.0.60, 61 & 62 for my Mega Tree and Star.

Actually, my routers assign like they are reserved IP. Once assigned, the stay with that IP until a Router factory reset is done....or no open IP for a new device (not likely) when it assign's a previous used IP that is not currently in use. My newer routers seem to run DHCP like I set up as static. Oh, for critical IP like AP's and/or when I really want a specific IP address, I do set static.
    In Lights Therapy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast