Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Source for ESP modules

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Source for ESP modules

What firmware are you running in them? I am using 3.0 with Shelby's flash tool. The 4 that I tested all did the same thing. Loaded fine and connected dhcp, but lost everything on a power cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

If the configuration settings that you are setting in the web GUI are not persisting on the ESP, that's the classic symptom of the Puya flash chip problem. While I haven't personally seen this problem (I don't have any puya modules) what I've read is that you can actually read the "PUYA" name on the flash chip of the ESP01 module. You may need a magnifying glass, but you should be able to actually identify the chip and know you have a bad module.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    If the configuration settings that you are setting in the web GUI are not persisting on the ESP, that's the classic symptom of the Puya flash chip problem. While I haven't personally seen this problem (I don't have any puya modules) what I've read is that you can actually read the "PUYA" name on the flash chip of the ESP01 module. You may need a magnifying glass, but you should be able to actually identify the chip and know you have a bad module.
    The puya chip = ver 2 is significantly visually smaller than esp version 1 .
    The site he purchased from provides in depth videos on this also .
    I have both the puya and the original chipped esp modules .
    The modules are not bad or defective , the puya just does not function as expected with ver 3 of the pixelstick firmware .

Post Thanks / Like

The terminology is subjective. You're right, they're not defective, but they are not suitable. Modules with Puya chips are indeed bad for the purpose of ESPixelStick. And also for pretty much any ESP application that's based on and compiled from the Arduino ESP environment.

I'm not sure if the amazon listing is still the same as it was when he posted the link. But the product currently being sold under that link is the "Version II" and you can clearly see PUYA printed on the flash chip. Those aren't going to work as ESPixelSticks.

Post Thanks / Like

They will work with the an earlier version of the firmware , link in other thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I returned the ones that I bought and didn't use. I really don't want to have to mess with it. I need them all to work with the same firmware load.

Just having bad luck with these. I'll figure it out eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLStout View Post
    I returned the ones that I bought and didn't use. I really don't want to have to mess with it. I need them all to work with the same firmware load.

Just having bad luck with these. I'll figure it out eventually.
    You will gain valuable experience by messing with it !

Post Thanks / Like

I hope so Angus. I am trying to get 15 of these to work for my house and my neighbors house. Strings already done, sequences done for the most part, just cant get these things to work right. New modules hopefully today or tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

You will overcome this minor hurdle
    I experimented with these for months in spare time to get an understanding of how to program them with various methods
    and firmwares.

One thing to keep in mind with these and most all other wireless hardware being used for this hobby , it will not be as reliable as directly wiring to a device .
    It would be a gamble to bank on a flawless performance from these modules for a complete light show .

best of luck to you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123