Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Source for ESP modules

Post Thanks / Like

Default Source for ESP modules

Looking at building some pixel sticks as laid out on the forums. Have my BOM setup, tried to read through that massive thread, but there is one problem i'm having. I need to keep the price of the ESP modules down due to other expenditures, so ali express seems to be the place. However, I can't seem to tell or find out which of them is possibly the module that works for this application. If I understood correctly, some of the esp modules have a part that makes them useless for this build, but i'm not feeling confident in what i'm ordering being correct. Can anybody point me to a vendor, link etc... on ali express or another source with good pricing on these modules? The depth of the main threads makes it hard to really get all the information needed, although the wiki is quite useful in most respects

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Source for ESP modules

Here is where I've always purchased the modules:

https://www.itead.cc/esp8266-serial-wifi-module.html

$1.99 each and very reasonable shipping. Never had a problem with any of the modules I've received, although I haven't ordered any in the past several months.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing you have to watch out for is a lot of the ESPs are using a Puya flash memory chip. It will accept the initial Java flash tool load but if you make any changes via the web UI they do not save and the whole ESP will start acting screwy.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    The only thing you have to watch out for is a lot of the ESPs are using a Puya flash memory chip. It will accept the initial Java flash tool load but if you make any changes via the web UI they do not save and the whole ESP will start acting screwy.
    If you are building the forkineye/ESPixelStick project from code, you can manually patch the code in ESP flash write function in the arduino/esp8266 with the snippet from here: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/i...ment-428007580 The Arduino IDE people have patched for the Puya issue earlier this year, we're just now waiting for the SPIFFS code people to do the same. To build from code you just need to be diligent about installing all the dependent Arduino librariies and the somewhat funky node.js/gather setup for the integrated web server setup. The README really does give everything needed it just takes some time to work through all of it.

My first batch of ESP8266 (from amazon) are Puya so I was motivated to figure this out! Tested and working!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willo View Post
    If you are building the forkineye/ESPixelStick project from code, you can manually patch the code in ESP flash write function in the arduino/esp8266 with the snippet from here: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/i...ment-428007580 The Arduino IDE people have patched for the Puya issue earlier this year, we're just now waiting for the SPIFFS code people to do the same. To build from code you just need to be diligent about installing all the dependent Arduino librariies and the somewhat funky node.js/gather setup for the integrated web server setup. The README really does give everything needed it just takes some time to work through all of it.

My first batch of ESP8266 (from amazon) are Puya so I was motivated to figure this out! Tested and working!
    What are the symptoms of a puya chip? I just got a batch in from amazon that I am having issues with. The chip does not say Puya, but "BoyaMicro". The java flash tool says programming complete, but the chip never joins the wifi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomashp View Post
    What are the symptoms of a puya chip? I just got a batch in from amazon that I am having issues with. The chip does not say Puya, but "BoyaMicro". The java flash tool says programming complete, but the chip never joins the wifi.
    For me the Puya chip acted exactly like Ruppro said:

"It will accept the initial Java flash tool load but if you make any changes via the web UI they do not save and the whole ESP will start acting screwy."

I could flash fine and start up. I could go to the web interface and "save" a config. But the config was never saved to flash -- on a reboot or power cycle the ESP would not find its config and thus it could never find the wifi SSID/password and would never come back up. Acts the same with the java flash tool OR building the source and flashing from the Arduino IDE.

If you are unable to flash from the java tool at all you probably have a different problem. Make sure you have a flash hardware setup with a super-solid 3.3v source (lots of other threads on this) maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a whole bunch that I bought last year from Spark fun that also program, and won't join the network. Just bought some replacement ESP modules from amazon, hope they don't do the same thing. I am programming with the Java flash tool.

Post Thanks / Like

I just returned those a ESP-01's that would not connect to wifi back to amazon. I have been fighting with them for a week with no luck. Does anyone have a reliable US seller for these modules?

Post Thanks / Like

I just returned those a ESP-01's that would not connect to wifi back to amazon. I have been fighting with them for a week with no luck. Does anyone have a reliable US seller for these modules?
    When the ESP starts up it outputs status information on the serial output. What did the output say? On your wireless router do you have 2.4Ghz enabled or just 5Ghz? ESP will not work with the 5Ghz wifi just 2.4Ghz.
    Last edited by Coaster; 11-03-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Were they defective ? How could you stand your ground in a dispute ?
    Did you try AT commands on them to determine if they worked as designed ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast