Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teensy 3.2 and Octo - Random Pixels lighting during Testing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teensy 3.2 and Octo - Random Pixels lighting during Testing

After several hrs of testing I started from scratch and set up sequences starting with 1 output to see how far I would get until I saw errors.
    I used last yrs code. From this post (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...no-serial-data)

Sequence 1 - 1 output 550Pixels - Ran ok
    Sequence 2 - 2 outputs (output 1/550Pixels, output 2/400Pixels) - Ran ok
    Sequence 3 - 3 outputs (output 1/550Pixels, output 2/400Pixels, output 3/247Pixels) - Output 1 and 2 ran ok, Output 3 only lit 97 Pixels.

Maxed out at 1047 pixels.

Note:
    1.To get the max of 1047 pixels, I had to set up my display with the largest number of Pixels on output 1
    then the next largest on Output 2 and so on...

2. Using the Alternating pattern (red/green), with both single output 3 selected and with all 3 outputs selected in a single group,
    Pixels 98 to 247 on output 3 did not light.

3. Suitable Headers used according to pixel counts (i.e >>550<<, >>950<<, >>1197<<)

This would explain why my 2017 set up was ok (950Pixels) and I only found errors after scaling up.

I then ran the sequences using Shadowlight8 code;

Sequence 1 - 1 output 550Pixels - Ran ok
    Sequence 2 - 2 outputs (output 1/550Pixels, output 2/400Pixels) - Ran ok
    Sequence 3 - 3 outputs (output 1/550Pixels, output 2/400Pixels, output 3/247Pixels) - Output 1 and 2 ran ok, Output 3 only lit 97 Pixels.

Note:
    1. After loading code then opening Vixen, the 98th pixel on Output 3 lit green/yellow and stayed this colour throughout testing.

2. Using the Alternating pattern (red/green), with single output, the 98th Pixel on output 3 remained Green/Yellow.
    Pixels 99 to 247 on output 3 did not light.

3. Using the Alternating pattern (red/green), with all 3 outputs in a single group, the 98th Pixel on output 3 remained Green/Yellow.
    Pixels 100 to 247 lit but alternated with Blue/off.

4. Teensy light remained solid on after code loaded and througout testing.

5. Header <>. Max pixels 550

ShadowLight8
    Can you explain the Max output figures and subsequent starting outputs from your spreadsheet further. I didn't have any extra outputs/channels when setting up my controller.
    After looking at them again, I think I understand what it means now......Each maximum output includes highest number of Pixels on any output. -Is that about right?

I've set up a controller including these additional outputs and everything is working great!!
    Last edited by MikeF; 11-09-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got it MikeF!

The Max Output is the last channel that could be part of a given strip. Another way to look at it, is the Max Output is the last channel for a strip if all of your strips were the same length as the longest. It's not really critical for setting things up, but I find it useful for planning out future expansions.

The Starting Output is the channel number that is the first channel for each strip. You can calculate a strip's Starting Output with ((Strip_Number - 1) * MAX_PIXELS_PER_STRIP * 3) + 1. In your original setup, Strip 3 would be ((3 - 1) * 574 * 3) + 1 = 3445. When connecting the outputs in Vixen for Strip 3, you'd start with channel 3445 on your Generic Serial / Teensy controller.

To make the Teensy code as fast as possible, it expects data for every channel (MAX_PIXELS_PER_STRIP * 8 * 3). When you patch up the controller in Vixen, you'll end up with unconnected gaps in the outputs from the last used channel of one strip to the Starting Output of the next strip. These are critical to the Teensy code since all it's really doing it taking a stream of data and feeding it to the OctoWS2811 library. I know this adds an extra headache when setting up the channel outputs.

Maybe I should create a Teensy/OctoWS2811 controller type for Vixen that helps setup this
    Halloween 2018 Lights: https://youtu.be/1FM4xhan_G4
    2018 Behind the Scenes: https://youtu.be/jGKUd9HzKGw

Other shows and behind the scenes:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg1...c85-wgbnkNiLOw

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who helped with my latest issue and my previous issue with Pi/FPP. Especially Shadowlight8.
    Today I successfully bench tested my show using Pi/FPP and by the end of the morning was using my phone to start/stop.

Made up
    Last edited by MikeF; 11-09-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12