Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound improvement on Rasberry PI with Falcon player

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sound improvement on Rasberry PI with Falcon player

Quote Originally Posted by larsande View Post
    Sound interesting. Do you just plug-it into an USB port on the PI and then you can choose it as output sound in the FPP?
    Plug in the Sound Blaster Play 3, turn on the Pi, select it as the audio output in config, set volume to 70, plug audio out from the Sound Blaster to your audio device. If using a PC, installing the software is not needed, but recommended then set EQ to off (but do minor tweaks if you want, but not needed in most cases). I do not recommend using generic USB audio devices, as they are often worse than the onboard Pi. Use the Sound Blaster, they know audio. http://a.co/d/daDtXcu

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I'm confused now. So are you saying the amplifier is not needed? What's the disadvantage to just using the dongle?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use an amp even though I bought one just in case. Works fine with just the sound card added.
    Last edited by ezellner; 11-29-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

First:
    Something is needed, Which of the many options is up to you.

Next:
    I use the HiFiBerry sound card. It has a line output that I use to drive my transmitter. Others use things like the SoundBlaster card or a USB sound card.

Lastly:
    When driving a transmitter you need to be aware of what the transmitter is looking for. My EDM transmitter and my cheap FM02 transmitter want "Line" level inputs. This means no amplifier is needed. Other transmitters are designed to take a "Speaker" output signal as their input signal. Those would be low impedance amplifier outputs that drive headphones etc. You can take a speaker output (turned way down) and use it to drive a "Line" input and get reasonable audio from your transmitter.

So whether you need an amplifier or not is up to you and your choice of equipment.

Notice in that entire explanation I did not mention USB or pi hat or daughter board? That is because it does not matter which of those you choose. As long as you are not using the built in audio, you will get better sound. How much better is dependent on the quality of the sound device you decide to use.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kolbyk View Post
    Man, I'm confused now. So are you saying the amplifier is not needed? What's the disadvantage to just using the dongle?
    People would buy a mixer to compensate for the poor audio output quality of the Pi or their built-in computer sound card. I've tested generic USB ones (even the white ones that are so popular), and they can be even worse then the onboard Pi (lower output levels, muted bass or treble, more noise, loss of dynamics, etc). With the Sound Blaster Play 3 it is a high quality sound card with superior DAC and strong signal to noise ratio. Here is someone in a similar situation as you who now has great audio: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...353#post502353

6. Thanks aknflyer, kolbyk thanked for this post
    Likes aknflyer, kolbyk liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12