Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound improvement on Rasberry PI with Falcon player

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sound improvement on Rasberry PI with Falcon player

hi running my lightshow from a pi 3 b board with Falcon player installed. I have 4 speakers and a FM transmitter. They all get the sound from the PI and then I split the signal quite a lot of times. This makes the quality of the sound very poor a lot of noice in the speakers and the transmitter. Could you give me some input how to improve the quality of the sound?. Please be a bit detailed as I am quite new to a lot of all the hardware stuff that can be used :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sound improvement on Rasberry PI with Falcon player

The issue is not so much with the splitting but the base quality of the PI audio. Get a proper audio device. The HiFi Berry works well. Many people use USB Audio devices with good success. Then get a good quality Amplifier. FYI: You should not split the Line output going to the FM transmitter. If you need to feed multiple devices you need a mixer with multiple outputs.

My setup goes from the HiFi berry line out to the transmitter line in. Then when I want a speaker I get a radio and tune it to my station and drop it where I want the sound. That way I have only power lines running around and nothing picks up any noise from the environment.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely agree with Martin. You should be taking your signal straight to an FM transmitter, then using small boomboxes for local audio.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you need the mixer.

Pi- USB MIXER- transmitter , can't remember the small one I am using but it's the same as the johnsons family light show he uses in his YouTube video. Takes its power from the pi as well and not much larger then the pi itself.

Then use an old antenna radio to send the sound to speakers. I use an 80s radio with hardline speaker wire and disconnected the originals and got 2 sets of the cheap best buy outdoor speakers and mounted them under the eve of the house. So they are hidden and ran hardlines to them from the cheap 80s radio in the garage.

Signal quality is perfect now, sounds just like a. Radio station.

Post Thanks / Like

Mister Softee, are you using anything on the pi in addition to the amplifier such as the HiFi Berry? By the way, the amplifer Matt Johnson uses is https://smile.amazon.com/Behringer-3...-no-redirect=1

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought the amplifier and that helped so I am satisfied now. Thanks all for your very qualified answers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by larsande View Post
    I have bought the amplifier and that helped so I am satisfied now. Thanks all for your very qualified answers.
    Are you just running USB Audio from the Pi to that Amplifier?
    2017: 33069 pixels, 24 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

The audio out from the Pi is pretty poor, and output levels are low. I recommend using a Sound Blaster Play 3, use FPP 2.x, and set volume to 70 (otherwise FPP will clip the output). No amplifier needed as this will output reference level audio and sound better than any onboard audio.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtrpop View Post
    The audio out from the Pi is pretty poor, and output levels are low. I recommend using a Sound Blaster Play 3, use FPP 2.x, and set volume to 70 (otherwise FPP will clip the output). No amplifier needed as this will output reference level audio and sound better than any onboard audio.
    Sound interesting. Do you just plug-it into an USB port on the PI and then you can choose it as output sound in the FPP?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Works great. Just make sure you get a USB audio dongle that doesn't need drivers loaded to work. It should say in the description because the ones that don't need drivers mention that.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast