Thread: ESPixel and FPP Channel Count

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPixel and FPP Channel Count

Trying to get my house lights going for halloween night as a test. I have 6 GECE ESPixel controllers running the stuff on the house.

Problem I am having is with channel mapping in the controllers

The controllers will not let me put in a channel number greater than 512. Do I need to say the start channel is 1 when I start a new universe?

Here is what I have specifically: Controller 1 40 pixels, 120 channels. Controller 2 57 pixels, 171 channels. Controller 3 60 pixels 180 channels. Controller 4 32 pixels, 96 channels. Controller 5 28 pixels,
    84 channels. Controller 6 28 pixels, 84 channels.

I tried setting this up across 2 universes in the fpp and the controllers, but when my channel count gets over 512, the GECE controller reverts it back to 512.

I tried setting it up as 6 different universes in the fpp and controllers, and it still is not right. I am getting blinky flashy, but only on the first 3 controllers. I can see them all connected to my wireless ap, and they test fine using the web interface of the controllers.

Does the fpp care what the universe and controller setup is in vixen 3?

I noticed what I had last year from vixen into the fpp is the fseq and also a profile for my renard controllers. I don't see that in the fpp for the e.1.31 in the fpp now.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixel and FPP Channel Count

I am going to assume your FPP channels are in this order:
    120 (001 - 120) channels for controller 1
    171 (121 - 292) channels for controller 2
    180 (293 - 473) channels for controller 3
    096 (474 - 570) channels for controller 4
    084 (571 - 655) channels for controller 5
    084 (656 - 740) channels for controller 6

This is more than one universe but less than two universes. This means we only need two multicast universes
    120 (001 - 120) channels for controller 1 - Universe 1 channels 001 - 120 - Controller 1 Start channel = 1
    171 (121 - 292) channels for controller 2 - Universe 1 channels 120 - 292 - Controller 2 Start channel = 120
    180 (293 - 473) channels for controller 3 - Universe 1 channels 293 - 473 - Controller 3 Start channel = 293
    096 (474 - 570) channels for controller 4 - Universe 2 channels 001 - 096 - Controller 4 Start channel = 1
    084 (571 - 655) channels for controller 5 - Universe 2 channels 097 - 181 - Controller 5 Start channel = 97
    084 (656 - 740) channels for controller 6 - Universe 2 channels 182 - 266 - Controller 6 Start channel = 182

So you have 473 channels in universe 1 and 266 channels in universe 2.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

So the controller setup, there is a Universe boundary number. Do I need to set that to the last channel in that controller, or leave at 512? What about in Vixen. Set up vixen the same way as the fpp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLStout View Post
    So the controller setup, there is a Universe boundary number. Do I need to set that to the last channel in that controller, or leave at 512? What about in Vixen. Set up vixen the same way as the fpp?
    Since the numbers I quoted do not fill the universes, the boundary number just needs to be greater than the number of channels you are interested in. When the controller is binding multiple universes into a single data set, the boundary number tells the controller how many data bytes are in each universe that it is processing (aka when to switch to the next universe for more data).

If you set up Vixen and the FPP the same way, you can test the controllers in two ways, allowing greater flexibility in data source testing.

WARNING: If you have Vixen set up with a config that reaches your controllers, you MUST turn off Vixen (shut it down completely) or you will confuse your controllers when FPP is asked to source the data. Confused: = Random flashing and other unwanted artifacts that will drive you nuts.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that problem with vixen when I was playing with it last night. Hogging the ethernet port. Thanks for the replies. I will try when I get home tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, when I change my layout in Vixen, I would need to export my sequences again to run on FPP correctly right?

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that problem with vixen when I was playing with it last night. Hogging the ethernet port. Thanks for the replies. I will try when I get home tonight.
    It's not a problem, that's how it's designed to work.
    Also, when I change my layout in Vixen, I would need to export my sequences again to run on FPP correctly right?
    Yes. That's why Vixen has the ability to save the export configuration. You can easily re-export everything all at once.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I thought I was going to have this sorted out before halloween, but not looking too good now. Got home yesterday and my wireless AP was acting up. Couldn't ping any of the espixel sticks. I had to take down the ap and take in the house to program again. Going to try tonight, but only have a few hours. Thanks for the replies everyone. Have to get this figured out for my Christmas lights anyway.