Thread: Portable electric panel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Portable electric panel

Hey guys Iím thinking of building a portable electric panel with some outlets if anyone has made something like this could you post some pics thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Portable electric panel

You mean, like a power strip?

3. Likes DrewDennis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    You mean, like a power strip?
    I would think he is talking about something like a small subpanel w/ breakers to outlets, fed by a 50A RV outlet off the main panel
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I made. It's 'portable' in the sense that it can be removed from the wall and stored, then re-attached on the wall. See the 2 wing nuts on the top (but I think there is a little angle bracket on the bottom, too).

I feed the box by suitably large (14awg - 12awg) power cords. There are 4 circuits, mostly 15amp but one 20Amp (based on the in-wall wire and circuit-breaker). I split each circuit into 3 or 4 sub-circuits. I plan my display so each (sub)circuit carries about 5 Amps max.

(Ignore the red-and-white striped PVC antenna cover.)

Each circuit enters a 3-gang electrical box, and a pigtail that allows another 2-gang box to be connected. The satellite 2-gang box holds 2 GFCIs. The main box contains a 40Amp crydom SSR (that gets powered up by the computer when it turns on), and switches to control operation. One switch (“Run”/”Off”) enables the circuit so it can come by computer-control, and another one to force it on (override on called “On!”/”Ext”)) for testing independent of computer. On this switch “Ext” means external control.

The gray box in middle lower also has a master “Ext”/”Off”/”Int” 3-position switch, When ‘Off”, nothing has any power. When “Ext” the the external computer controls whether to turn everything on. With “Int” 9v battery inside the gray box is used to turn on the setup without computer, again for testing.

Each circuit includes a green 10mm LED which light up when the circuit is ‘armed’, awaiting external (or internal) signal to turn on.

In this photo, circuit #4 is not completed, but it has since been completed.) The timer was only temporarily in use until is was done.

I added a copy of my power layout plan. This hangs near the power panel so I can know what display elements to look at if I do have ground fault issues.

Lastly, I installed a night-light in each GFCI, with a green filter, and switched on. When the receptacle has power, the nightlight turns on green. When off, the nightlights go out. This way I call tell at a glance (from my internal garage door in the kitchen) if any and which sub-circuits may have tripped due to ground fault.

Is this what you are looking for?

Jimboha
    Last edited by jimboha; 10-30-2018 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Added power layout plan
    Springville, Utah

6. Likes Kev7274 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you need a few more indicator lights............

Post Thanks / Like

Yes ruppro that’s what I’m talking about have you built one
    Last edited by Mike wentzel; 10-29-2018 at 01:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to take a look at this one,

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...501#post140501

Emmanuel
    RGB Mega Tree Plugin: www.varaderolights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I use in the UK, metal IP65 enclosure with a 32A inlet split to 4 13A sockets and two 16A weatherproof sockets, all on individual MCBs. There's space in the bottom of the cabinet for other things to sit (one of my DMX decoders in the picture). It's also got a couple of LEDs to show incoming power and RCD status.

image1.jpeg
    image2.jpeg

My brother said it looked like a crap R2D2 and stuck googly eyes on the indicator lamps...!
    Last edited by markp; 10-29-2018 at 12:02 PM.

11. Likes DrNeutron, Kev7274 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    I think you need a few more indicator lights............
    I think I need some more meds.

It may not have been clear from my explanation, but each GFCI receptacle (pair) is a separate sub-circuit. So I have an indicator on each of the 13 sub-circuits. it makes i much easier to quickly figure out where the leakage is occurring in any Ground Faults happen.

Jimboha

PS As I recall, those are YOU'RE Crydoms in there... That makes you complicit, at least in principle.
    Last edited by jimboha; 10-30-2018 at 02:28 AM.
    Springville, Utah