Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arduino + Adafruit + Vixen3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino + Adafruit + Vixen3

Vixen always outputs all of the data for all of the configured channels all of the time. You would see a data stream with mostly zero values and an occasional non zero value. If you use renard, you will regularly see a value of 0x7F. This is the start of frame value. In your example you would see your desired value 13 bytes after the 0x7F. You would need a serial breakout board to capture this information.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Another method I have used is to use an Arduino MEGA board and a usb - TTL adapter. The USB-TTL adapter would use, say, Serial1 port of the MEGA board for receiving Vixen data and you would use the Serial port for displaying the data to the screen via the Serial Monitor. This also means changing the sketch slightly to accommodate these changes. The MEGA board can accommodate 4 UARTS, but you need only two for debugging.

Vixen sends bytes of data. So one RGB LED will need 3 bytes, even if one is 0.
    Last edited by LightUp; 10-30-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MacLaddy View Post
    I'm taking your advice and using this as a learning exercise for a starting point. One thing that would be helpful is to see the data output from Vixen. Is there anyway to actually see what it is outputting for a command? Let's just say I want to light the 12th LED a solid red color. (255,0,0). What would the signal be coming out of Vixen on the data stream? What if I did two lights? What about one light but two colors (255,255,0)? If I could see what the Arduino is supposed to be reading, I think I could work through this a lot faster.

Thanks again,
    Mac
    Hi, as LightUp says you can look at the serial (Renard) data with a TTL adapter or even a simple sketch. Bear in mind that that most serial monitors will only display Vixen data as ASCII characters with values between 33 and 126. If Vixen is sending values of 0 and 255 you won’t see them with a serial monitor. If I’m observing serial data I tend to set channels that are ‘off’ to a value of 33 which displays as ! and channels that are ‘on’ to values like 65 (A), 66 (B), 67 (C) etc.

To look at the 12th LED solid Red (255, 0, 0), with 33 as off and 65 as on you would see:
    ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! A ! !
    And two colours (255, 255, 0), again with 33 as off and 65 as on you would see:
    ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! A A !
    If you send a header it will appear first, a common one is >>050<< you would see:
    >> 0 5 0 < < ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! A A !

NOTE: Generic serial and Renard will both look the same when viewed on a serial monitor even though Renard sends a start byte. This is because the start byte is 127 (0x7F in hex) and unfortunately in ASCII this is ‘DEL’ which in not a visible character. Hope that helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12