Thread: Need ideas for hooking up 4 color mini trees every other one.. to my LOR controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need ideas for hooking up 4 color mini trees every other one.. to my LOR controller

Okay so this year I have made 7 more mini trees to go in my display, I had 2 so now we have 9 total.. I added red,blue,white,green lights to every tree. I would really love to be able to make every different color come on at a different time but i only have 16 channels total and no way to do that so i have decided to hook 3 of each one of the trees there going to be lined down the driveway spaced about 6 foot apart from each other. I want to hook every other one to each other then go to my 16 channel controller. I am trying to figure out how to do it. i can buy 12-15 foot drop cords and hook one tree to the next then go from it to the next and so on then hook to the controller. but that will end up being 4 cords to each tree then to the box. if i did my math right that would be 40 cords. that is going to be very expensive. i thought about just buying a big roll of SPT wire and buying a male and female end to go on eiher end then buying the females to go inline where i need to make the connections but not sure this would be a good idea or not. even this route i would need i think about 1000 feet. it will be 50 foot from the first tree to the controller. 4 wires per set of trees.

other idea is just to buy ( think i might have some already)
    electrical wire like used in your house and install outlets where i need them in line on it. ( I have plenty of outlets from another project) but then i would need boxes to put them in i guess? i remember a guy years ago had this type of wire laying all over his yard hooked to his LOR boxes.

any other ideas?
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need ideas for hooking up 4 color mini trees every other one.. to my LOR controll

You have a lot of wires to run. I would opt for the most flexible solution and that would be SPT with inline female connectors.

This time of year, you might be able to find $1 6' 3 outlet plugs extension cords. Some others have mentioned https://www.dollartree.com/durex-3-o...use-6ft/122325 in the past. This is an indoor cord and I did not say it would work outside but others have said no problems. Also note the polarized plug. You will need at least a case. Cheaper than another controller but you will need a bunch of cords.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need ideas for hooking up 4 color mini trees every other one.. to my LOR controll

You are just going to have to get the cords. This hobby can get very expensive. You are going to need a lot of cords and I watch the yard sales as you can pickup some there cheap. I also use a lot of SPT-2 wire to make my own cords and long runs.
    Doug

Having Fun with Wire Frames and Lights.

www.wireframedlites.com
    Custom Hand Made In USA

FaceBook:
    http://www.facebook.com/wireframedlites

Phillips Family Display
    http://www.facebook.com/phillipsfamilydisplay

Post Thanks / Like

Realistically I bet I have just as much money invested in all my ext cords as I do the controllers and lights themselves. The ext cords will cost a pretty penny even if you make them yourself.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping For 10,000+ Lights - 4 or 5 Sequenced Songs

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Best Christmas Lights of 2017

5. Likes Dougp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, i didn't even know dollar tree sold cords never seen any in the store i don't think. Yeah it will be a ton of wires anyways i do it.
    I have always said i will buy some more drop cords every pay check but never do.. always need more cords.
    I know most of those small 2 wire ( no ground) drop cords say indoor use only i have always used them outside in my displays w/o issues. I mean there basically SPT wire.
    I did make some cords out of old light strands that wasn't good anymore last year i might be able to use a few of them.
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

I vote spt-1 cords and vamp plug.ends, I use it in everything. My 4 singers alone use 500' of cord to extend the light strings to go to the controllers. And the controllers are not that far away from the singers. But if you add a few feet to each wire and there's 8 strings per singer the feet add up quickly.

8. Likes Dougp liked this post