Thread: small mega tree base

Post Thanks / Like

Default small mega tree base

I am going to be building my first mega tree. Planning on using a 10' EMT for the pole, so probably a 9' or so tree. I have the boscoyo kit. What are people's experiences with just staking the strips to the ground vs. using a hoop? If I use a hoop, are there any issues with using pvc? I don't want to deal with the have of bending EMT or trying to find used trampoline the right size for my first tree.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: small mega tree base

I stake my strips straight to the ground using MISR clips and strain relief tabs and have never had any issues.
    Last edited by Kev7274; 10-21-2018 at 08:32 PM.

(1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1) Falcon F16V3
    (1)E682
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)E1.31 Bridge
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels
    (12)ESPixel Sticks (shelby aka sporadic)

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas

3. Thanks jackal24 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first year I staked individual strips down. I hated the look. My ground isnít very flat and trying to get a uniform look just wasnít possible.

I use EMT and PVC for a bottom hoop which makes perfect spacings possible.

FWIW I donít recommend making your pole out of EMT if possible. I use Top Rail Fence Pipe which is fairly cheep and much stronger than EMT.

Thatís four 7.5í trees and one 20í tree.

Post Thanks / Like

How many EMT pipes do you use to achieve a 10 foot diameter? Two EMT and 1/3? I havenít done the math but I am also shopping at Lowes or HomeDepot for good EMT that can support 180 degree, 18 string tree. I guess 3/4inch EMT for the base and have it staked down at sections 20inches apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

C=pi*D
    so you will need 31.14 feet for 360 deg
    4 10ft sections, or
    4 8ft sections

OR

15.57 ft for 180 deg
    2 10ft section, or
    2 8ft sections
    [2017] 32 Renard Channels, 3360 LED Lights
    [2018] 240 Renard Channels, 14070 LED Lights, 2 projectors, and one donkey

7. Thanks BizeekDIY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a 9 foot tree you wouldn’t want a 10 foot base. General rule of thumb is base is half the height of the tree then you can adjust to your liking. I’d start with pvc because it’s cheap and easy to work with. I’d like to see kevs setup as I’ve tried that but didn’t have much luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in Telecom, I used 1/2 of a used cable reel made from square tube steel. They come in 6', 8' sizes. Sawzall and now I have 2, easy. I actually got the reel from a local project that was being built, and asked if I could have it. Answer was "yes please, take it away"
    Tree Pic.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like my local Lowe's has the Top Rail Fence Pipe for $11.48+tax, and I'll buy two 10.5 feet sections and have at it. I don't like the feeling of using a tree that has split 2 trunks to bend the pipe, but it's the only thing available to me at the moment, unless there's a JIG (instructions in the forum) i can follow to cut on a 4x8 pressed particle plywood (3/4 inch) and bend the 1.3inch diameter top fencing piping that way.

I have followed and built Monkhouse's ASAP Sr Single Stage + portable hole, and my 18 strings are at 78 pixels and 19+ feet, I have measured radius by hanging the wires on the topper and measuring how far out I should have my radius, and it's looking to be at 7 feet, so 14feet diameter total for a 19 feet pole + a Boscoyo studio 46" 3 ring star topper.

Thanks Airwolf16 for the calculation!