Thread: What is available for exterior 144 pixel per meter strips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is available for exterior 144 pixel per meter strips?

I need 180 meters of 144pixel-per-meter WS2812B strip.

I would vastly prefer something that I can mount in some kind of channel for perfectly straight mounting. If I go on Amazon I can find plenty of IP67 or better waterproof strip, but no way to mount it that I can find that will keep it straight.

Been done a million times I'm sure, but please post links to any mounting solution you know of that keeps them straight and in line!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is available for exterior 144 pixel per meter strips?

wow 144 pixel per meter? that like 1/2 inch between each pixel maybe a p5 or p10 panel strip can be done ??
    good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I use 144/m for a small 8x72 matrix but it uses so much power and so many channels for something so small that I'd not bother using that density for anything else as it just becomes an expensive headache! 60/m for anything from a distance is fine. In all honesty I wish I'd made my matrix bigger with 60/m strips!

All the channel I've used hasn't been weatherproof - best solution I came up with was to buy some 16x16 trunking, remove the lid, and use IP-rated strip glued in to the trunking channel.

Post Thanks / Like

Zip tie it to 1/2” PVC and mount the pipe. But as others have said, that kind of strip is a pain to work with since you have to inject every 2 meters and add a new data line every 7 meters (at best).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    Zip tie it to 1/2 PVC and mount the pipe. But as others have said, that kind of strip is a pain to work with since you have to inject every 2 meters and add a new data line every 7 meters (at best).
    I was going to tie power every meter this time around, but data every 8. I'm driving 8m right now without a problem, but am I getting lucky or something?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm driving 8m right now without a problem, but am I getting lucky or something?
    8x144 = 1152 pixels of data.
    Assuming high speed (800 Kbps) ws2811, that is within 50 ms timing.
    That should not work well at 25ms.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno what to tell you but I've got eight 8M strips running right now off Wifi as a test. In fact, I'm driving them with the data pin of a 3.3V microcontroller with no logic converter, so that's not even SUPPOSED to work that well, but it does.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use this to keep your strips straight and inline. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...9JBI7D0x2IjBIY
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - I just cant find anything that's got a separate channel where I can run power and ground wires! Like a 20-ga speaker wire pair, that's all...