Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are there any alternatives to pigtail cables for waterproof connections?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there any alternatives to pigtail cables for waterproof connections?

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    Oh yeah - these are, IMHO, the best alternative for outdoor LOW VOLTAGE stuff. Much faster and a clean cable end - no hassles with having to add a cable to some of these MOLDED types. No tiny screws to loose!!

Water resistant/proof - easy to handle. For most, the only drawback is having the right crimp tool. These crimpers are available ... 1.5mm un-insulated. Double crimp. The first few are a bit of a hassle until you get used to how they work. I think I have done thousands of these over the past 5 years.

UPDATE: At first glance, I did not notice the ones ukewarrior listed had wires on them. I get the full kit of parts and build all my own.

I have been using these for several years now with excellent results. You can put together any cable, any length and at any time.

I found mine on eBay. As always, shop around for the best price and delivery times, especially if you need them yesterday. These make adding power injection a breeze!

Attachment 40696

The contacts are rated for 10 amps continuous.

Only other suggestion is to make sure the boot over the wire is sealed. I have some "TEST" cables I sealed with hot glue ... 26ga does not fit well and needed some HELP. My experience is 12-20 gauge wire, depending on the thickness of the insulation.

I have not had any failures to date. Anything over 10A I use the Anderson Power Pole system.

Good luck
    These are all I will ever use , I have a few round pigtails for the 5v stuff and I hate them, too many differences between manufacturers. And the best part of these is free next day shipping from Amazon. I will never use round pigtails again
    Flash Flash Blink Blink,,Oh What A Relief It Is

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there any alternatives to pigtail cables for waterproof connections?

That is the spray version. I use the oil. Less waste and it gets into the wire jackets (and anything else it touches). The stuff is great and it is insidious. Worth the trouble. Others use dielectric grease and claim to have good results. I never tried the grease so I cant say one way or another.

Here is the oil: https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-500...sion+x+gun+oil

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    That is the spray version. I use the oil. Less waste and it gets into the wire jackets (and anything else it touches). The stuff is great and it is insidious. Worth the trouble. Others use dielectric grease and claim to have good results. I never tried the grease so I cant say one way or another.

Do you re-apply every year?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

every time I touch the connectors I put a drop on them. A drop goes a long way. To be honest, if it is really cold outside i will skip reapplying the oil. I have seen no difference between the skipped and not skipped connectors. But I try to do it every time.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post

I bought the bigger bottle a few years ago and have not run out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009GYRWW
    Since none of these connectors are gold plated, they all will corrode with moisture and current around them. The CorrosionX does a good job of cleaning the connectors off. I have used it on all of my DC connectors and pixels for the last 7 years and I have not had an issue yet. I don't trust the orings on the round connectors, and when they are cold it is hard to tighten them correctly. I flood the male end with the oil and seat each connection twice to get the oil into the female end.

I also swear by Anderson Powerpole connectors for any connector 10A and over.
    2012 Second Animated Christmas

http://www.christmasinwarren.com

Become a Supporting Member of DIYC! Click Here
    Tip: Backup your sequences on a free cloud storage site like Dropbox. Click Here for free 2Gb storage.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    Oh yeah - these are, IMHO, the best alternative for outdoor LOW VOLTAGE stuff. Much faster and a clean cable end - no hassles with having to add a cable to some of these MOLDED types. No tiny screws to loose!!

Water resistant/proof - easy to handle. For most, the only drawback is having the right crimp tool. These crimpers are available ... 1.5mm un-insulated. Double crimp. The first few are a bit of a hassle until you get used to how they work. I think I have done thousands of these over the past 5 years.

UPDATE: At first glance, I did not notice the ones ukewarrior listed had wires on them. I get the full kit of parts and build all my own.

I have been using these for several years now with excellent results. You can put together any cable, any length and at any time.

I found mine on eBay. As always, shop around for the best price and delivery times, especially if you need them yesterday. These make adding power injection a breeze!

Attachment 40696

The contacts are rated for 10 amps continuous.

Only other suggestion is to make sure the boot over the wire is sealed. I have some "TEST" cables I sealed with hot glue ... 26ga does not fit well and needed some HELP. My experience is 12-20 gauge wire, depending on the thickness of the insulation.

I have not had any failures to date. Anything over 10A I use the Anderson Power Pole system.

Good luck
    I have the 4 conductor round pigtails and hate them. I recently ordered 300 sets of the 4 pin square versions of these. As needed and to continue as the display comes down everything will be transfered over to the new connectors.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

I also run exclusively JST connectors. They see to work fine, even leaving them buried in a snowbank. I like the suggestions of the anti-corrosion stuff, though. I noticed this year the connectors starting to get a little corrosion on the props I used last year.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to misplace the bottle of CorrosionX so instead of getting one big bottle I bought three of the smaller bottles. None is less than half full and all of them have gone missing at one time or another

9. Likes jklingert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Small question about terminology. My understanding is that in our context, a pigtail is the loose wires end, that you need to solder/crimp/screw to something else. So a cable could have some connector on each end (same or different), or it might have a connector on one end and loose wires on the other end - a "pigtail". In particular, some connectors are sold with a short cable ending in a pigtail, so you can splice the pigtails into some other cable or devices, rather than dealing with for example crimpling the connector conductors directly.

A device may come with pigtails - like loose wires hanging out rather than some connector or pins or screw terminals. For example, some wall (AC mains) dimmers come with stranded pigtails rather than having screw or push-in terminations; instead they are installed using using wire nuts to connect the pigtails to the solid house wiring.

Besides devices, one can buy JST connectors with pigtails, round connectors with pigtails, those waterproof linear connectors with pigtails, etc - if one is buying the given connectors with a short bit of pre-attached cable/wire to which one can solder/crimp/screw.

If Ray sells "pigtails", that means he's actually selling connectors with pigtails on the other end. As it happens, he mostly sells round screw-together connectors in a pigtail version.

Is that correct? Or am I confused?
    Last edited by Zeph; 12-04-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

yes a pigtail is pretty much any connector that you attach to something else.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast