Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any alternatives to pigtail cables for waterproof connections?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there any alternatives to pigtail cables for waterproof connections?

Unlike all of these, I use cheap JST connectors liberally coated in Corrosion X gun oil and wrapped in a freezer bag. I never have issues from moisture. On occasion I trip on a wire and pull out a lead. I have also found that some manufacturers have poor crimps so I do get some infant mortality on the connectors. Most times I can visually inspect them and weed out the ones that will fail. At less than $1USD per set, I do not mind throwing a few away.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there any alternatives to pigtail cables for waterproof connections?

Can anybody post some shots of what their power injection branch connection from the source and to the pixels looks like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Can anybody post some shots of what their power injection branch connection from the source and to the pixels looks like?
    Have you thought of using the wiki ?

4. Thanks XmasinVancouver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Have you thought of using the wiki ?
    Yes, absolutely. It's an indispensable resource that I read even when I didn't need power injection. However, MS paint drawn line diagrams representing a connection aren't very detailed as far as how the connections are made, just where.

PS: Thanks to Angus40, just successfully powered up my first e682 built from scratch WITHOUT any arcing or smoke Thank you again my good man!

6. Likes outbreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Yes, absolutely. It's an indispensable resource that I read even when I didn't need power injection. However, MS paint drawn line diagrams representing a connection aren't very detailed as far as how the connections are made, just where.

PS: Thanks to Angus40, just successfully powered up my first e682 built from scratch WITHOUT any arcing or smoke Thank you again my good man!
    That is great to hear ! The e68x controllers are excellent for the Diyer .
    My first experience with pixels was in assembling an e681 kit from SanDevices and I will never for get that .
    I am happy to have been able to help out in you achieving your success on your endeavour .
    Now get testing ... woot .
    Best of luck

8. Thanks XmasinVancouver thanked for this post
    Likes XmasinVancouver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    I use the single wire connector for data and the double wire connector for power and ground which keeps things straight and accommodates power injection more readily than a three wire connector.
    Can you show me what power injection looks like using your method?

I would also like to use the 1 pin connectors for data and the 2 pin connectors for power. Connecting two strings without power injection would be simple enough. What are you doing to connect two strings with power injection?

Thanks!

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 - Static Light Show
    2017 - 72 Renard Channels - Roughly 4,200 Lights - 3 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - Added Pixels to Rooflines
    You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ8...yLJieEEwDto7xg

Adding Pixel Arches, Snowflakes, and Singing Bulbs in 2019!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    If you need a lot of these, they are available off aliexpress for very good prices.
    For example: Here's 100 of the 3 pin for $37 shipped. Hard to beat for 37 cents each.
    Other pin counts are available too. 1,2,3,4,5,6 pin options.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-...AbTest=ae803_4
    Oh yeah - these are, IMHO, the best alternative for outdoor LOW VOLTAGE stuff. Much faster and a clean cable end - no hassles with having to add a cable to some of these MOLDED types. No tiny screws to loose!!

Water resistant/proof - easy to handle. For most, the only drawback is having the right crimp tool. These crimpers are available ... 1.5mm un-insulated. Double crimp. The first few are a bit of a hassle until you get used to how they work. I think I have done thousands of these over the past 5 years.

UPDATE: At first glance, I did not notice the ones ukewarrior listed had wires on them. I get the full kit of parts and build all my own.

I have been using these for several years now with excellent results. You can put together any cable, any length and at any time.

I found mine on eBay. As always, shop around for the best price and delivery times, especially if you need them yesterday. These make adding power injection a breeze!

4 Pin connector.jpg

The contacts are rated for 10 amps continuous.

Only other suggestion is to make sure the boot over the wire is sealed. I have some "TEST" cables I sealed with hot glue ... 26ga does not fit well and needed some HELP. My experience is 12-20 gauge wire, depending on the thickness of the insulation.

I have not had any failures to date. Anything over 10A I use the Anderson Power Pole system.

Good luck
    Last edited by RGB_Mixer; 12-02-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Unlike all of these, I use cheap JST connectors liberally coated in Corrosion X gun oil and wrapped in a freezer bag. I never have issues from moisture. On occasion I trip on a wire and pull out a lead. I have also found that some manufacturers have poor crimps so I do get some infant mortality on the connectors. Most times I can visually inspect them and weed out the ones that will fail. At less than $1USD per set, I do not mind throwing a few away.
    I was coming to ask if the JST connectors were water proof, guessing by this statement they are not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceler View Post
    I was coming to ask if the JST connectors were water proof, guessing by this statement they are not.
    JST connectors are NOT waterproof but they can be used in high moisture areas with great success. Last season I found three of my bags had twisted and turned into water collectors. The connectors were completely submerged in water. Because of the corrosion X, there was no rust or any form of corrosion on the connectors.

I also have the JST connectors on my megatree. For the past two years the tree has been outside 100% of the time. The connectors were laying exposed to the rain (after having been given a shot of corrosion X) and are working perfectly this year.

The point is, with the proper preparation, even a non waterproof connector will work just fine.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Because of the corrosion X, there was no rust or any form of corrosion on the connectors.
    Is this the stuff you're referring to? https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-9...ds=corrosion+x

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast