Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are there any alternatives to pigtail cables for waterproof connections?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there any alternatives to pigtail cables for waterproof connections?

Quote Originally Posted by onceler View Post
    Do you end up having a "random" loose cables? Or can you do it in a way that maintains the usability of the outer cable shell?
    It depends on the length of cable I am making. If it is under 10' I can usually coax the 4th wire out of the outer shell. If it is over that length, I usually just cut it back to where I have trimmed the outer casing.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there any alternatives to pigtail cables for waterproof connections?

I make my own cords. I buy bulk rolls of 16AWG 600v wire that looks a lot like a lamp cord. It works well to bring power from one PSU to the next. I also use 14AWG 24v landscape wire to go from the PSUs to the elements. In most cases where a connection is needed I solder things together and then cover each connect with heat shrink and add an extra heat shrink layer over the wire sets that extends an extra half inch in each direction. Seals up pretty well. I have also never had such a connection fail due to water incursion (tripping over the wire is a different story).

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    Are you talking about Low Voltage or High Voltage extension cords, I make both. For High Voltage (110v) I use SPT 2 wire with Vampire Plugs. I will take a dremel to the female End Line plugs and make them into InLine Plugs.

For Low Voltage I use Monoprice 16 or 18 AWG 4 conductor speaker wire I will pull the 4th wire when I need a 3 wire cord, and use two pairs for running Power Injections.
    I know I did not start this thread, but this answer is exactly what I wanted to know. This next year I am going to do about 4000 pixel nodes to add and wanted a better alternative then the crappy round plugs. I have already run into 3 different sizes that all look the same. But this wire with the automotive 4 connector plug is what I was looking for to make clean pwr injection cables as well as clean up the 3 wire setup. Thanks alot!!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a lead on 4 conductor stranded cable with black sheathing for a decent price that they can recommend? Similar to what TomL8345 linked?

While you can not see either white or black at night during the day the black would look much better imo than white control cabling running all over the place.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTDOOR-Spe...-/272880891067
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you using 4 conductors for power injection... what does that look like? Are you using the 4th conductor for power, then taking that plus the ground to the injection point?
    If so, does that not make the ground (potentially) undersized?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    Are you talking about Low Voltage or High Voltage extension cords, I make both. For High Voltage (110v) I use SPT 2 wire with Vampire Plugs. I will take a dremel to the female End Line plugs and make them into InLine Plugs.

For Low Voltage I use Monoprice 16 or 18 AWG 4 conductor speaker wire I will pull the 4th wire when I need a 3 wire cord, and use two pairs for running Power Injections.
    I use 18awg 4 wire Monoprice as well, and it has been recommended to use the 'extra' 4th wire to double the ground. I have been doing this and no issue. It adds a little extra insurance, and if left unused, some have reported it can act as an antenna and cause issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone use Deutsch 3-pin connectors by chance? If so, got an URL to the specific one you use?

I like 18 AWG 3-core SJOOW (aka portable cable) from Carol Cable. It's got a stinky rubber exterior sheathing and in a perfect world, I'd make my own cables with waterproof connectors to the exact specs I want them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    I found the screw together pigtails to be cumbersome ( added luggage to the control box), sightly( to bulky of a connector) , time consuming( a general pita for setup and take down ) and an unnecessary added expense .

I found the 18awg waterproof spades to fit the bill for my purposes .
    They are easy to use ✔ have 0 added weight ✔ cost effective ✔ and look great ✔ .
    I have been known to have trouble with the "written word" in the forums, fb post and the like. I've been yelled at and done some yelling myself just over
    a miss-understanding of what was said in a post. Just to be sure, you are using these spades in place of any type of pigtail or automotive connectors. If that
    is true I personally would like more info on your set up using these spades on low voltage pixels.
    I totally agree with Jchuchla in another post that the problem is keeping water from making a "connection" between the pins on Any connector thus causing
    major problems. I used some automotive connectors last year and had no problem with water, However, after the take down and storage after season end I
    noticed milky white residue on a few connectors. Obviously had some water in connector but with the way those connectors are made it is hard for water to
    connect more than two pins together. Using these spades would make it almost impossible for water to cause a problems like we find in plug and twist
    type connectors.
    Anyway, I think this may be the way to go, at least for me, IFFF... I'MMM... Understanding you correctly. Thanks, Ray.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say I bought some of the monoprice wire for $20-100' roll and it works great for pixel extension and pwr injection in one cord!

10. Likes TomL8345 liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345