Thread: Switch From Dipole to 1/4 Wave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Switch From Dipole to 1/4 Wave

Thinking about making a new antenna this year. My current one works pretty well but I'm interested to see if I can get a better signal from a 1/4 wave. Before I buy the parts, does anyone have experience or an opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Switch From Dipole to 1/4 Wave

I use this one, works great! I like it because I can mount it directly on a ground rod (bottom of the antenna is ground). https://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/l...nnector=so-239

My FM transmitter (FMT-212) has an "SMA" connector on it (miniature coax) so I got this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANX1JGI/

Regards,

Dennis the Menace

Post Thanks / Like

I have always run a 1/4 wave and have been amazed at the performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Ran a dipole my first year. Very unhappy with it. Went to a 1/4 wave ground plane and never looked for anything else. Super easy to build (one connector, five pieces of wire) and twenty minutes to build (took longer to order the connector). Great range and perfectly clear. Since I used 14 awg wire for the legs and tip (left over from a room remodel) it cost me $3USD total to build the antenna. The antenna is flexible and collapses for storage. I hang it from a low tree branch and run a string from the legs to tent stakes to keep it stable.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Ran a dipole my first year. Very unhappy with it. Went to a 1/4 wave ground plane and never looked for anything else. Super easy to build (one connector, five pieces of wire) and twenty minutes to build (took longer to order the connector). Great range and perfectly clear. Since I used 14 awg wire for the legs and tip (left over from a room remodel) it cost me $3USD total to build the antenna. The antenna is flexible and collapses for storage. I hang it from a low tree branch and run a string from the legs to tent stakes to keep it stable.
    Can you send the reference to the build?
    3rd Year - 640 channels - 18,706 lights - 1 Lost Mind
    FACEBOOK: Fallatt's Charlotte Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is very timely for me. This is the great thing about forums. Someone somewhere is wondering the same things.

I’ve been using a dipole the last few years and not satisfied with the performance. Had been thinking about going to 1/4 wave but just didn’t know if it would be any better. Reading this thread now I think I’ll make the change. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

This is the calculator:

https://m0ukd.com/calculators/quarte...nna-calculator

I used something like this to connect to my coax. You purchase one to go with the type of cable you are using.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UHF-female-...Tqg:rk:70:pf:0

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

8. Thanks angus40 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For the station I plan to use, the monopole is 31.48 inches and the radials are 35.26 inches. That's a lot larger than I expected but does it sound about right? If it is then where are you mounting an antenna this big? My dipole is about 6 feet but it mounts easy because it's just a pole.

Post Thanks / Like

it sounds about right. Keep in mind a 30" leg at 45 degrees is only 15" high. Total height is about 50" I hang my antenna from a low hanging tree branch. The legs end about 5" from the ground. I get clear signal for about 1/2 mile. If I raise it up the distance goes up but that is not what I want. High quality at my house and a bit down the street is all I need.