Thread: DIY Version of Shimmering Magic

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY Version of Shimmering Magic

Hello, Good afternoon everyone! I just want to say thank you in advance for your help and advice. The DIY projects that I have seen on here have stunned me, and I want to challenge myself and attempt to create and learn enough to give back and give others ideas as well.

This is going to be a learning curve for me, but I have a good but simple back ground with electronics (vehicle wiring, soldering, building computers), so at least I have that going for me. I'm going to start with baby steps with this project. My main goal is to simply just reproduce the Shimmering light pattern on net lighting that you can see on this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PM9kfNBCys

I've searched the web and these forums to see if anyone has possibly done this already and I didn't find/see anything. I understand the basics of what I'll probably need. Controller, power, amplifiers, etc. I just don't know exactly where to start or the specific equipment that I'll need. It seems like a simple pattern with 2 flashes and then a slow fade on. If I am correct it seems like I'd be going down the individual pixel route?

In the mean time I'll continue playing with Vixen 3.

Thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIY Version of Shimmering Magic

I would go ws2811 bullet nodes so you could do more interesting things. The pattern is going to be hard to reproduce using sequencing software. It would be not too hard to do on an arduino. I guess once you figure out it out in Vixen, you could create "random" groups of pixels and then apply the effect randomly to the groups. Interesting puzzle really.

3 or 4 inch spacing on the pixel strings. A couple of data cables to get from controller to strings. An appropriate power supply. A controller (depends on how many things you want to run and the flexibility you need). A show player of some sort.

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to get the pattern in vixen, but it was on a per string basis, with the help of Taz. I will start looking into arduino. I am not looking at adding anything else or running anything else, just these net lights. I will also start researching which bullet nodes to get. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I think https://www.tweaking4all.com has arduino code for this sort of effect, he has reorganized his stuff so I cant directly link/find right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

xLights has this effect, or at least something very similar - it's called Sparkle and you can add it many of the effects. I've added it to the On effect, the Twinkle effect, the Single String effect...etc. You can even adjust the slider bar to increase the number of sparkles and check a little box that says 'Music affects sparkles' (or some text close to that). Let's say you have a string/strip of 50 lights and want to add Sparkle - you can adjust from 1 all the way to 50 and it will randomly put that sparkle effect on the string (just FYI, going all the way to 50 doesn't make all 50 nodes in that string have a sparkle, it just makes *most* of the string sparkle instead of just a few nodes).

Not trying to lure you away from Vixen 3, just saying I've seen this in action in xLights.

Edit: clarification

Post Thanks / Like

Stormyblade - I will take a look at xLights. I was only playing with Vixen3 because of how easy people were saying that it was to use.

davros - That is pretty close to what I am looking for. Thank you for posting that link.

I have been really busy at work this week, so research and playing around with the programs has been slow. This will be done for next year though. I appreciate the guidance you all have given me so far.

8. Likes Stormyblade liked this post