Thread: Chicago Area People Enter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chicago Area People Enter

Every winter my wife and I go to Chicago, we are from Kansas City. We always go to the Christkindlmarket (I'm German), the Lincoln Park Zoo, ice skating in the park and everything on the magnificent mile.

What other Christmas things do you suggest? What displays do you suggest?
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping For 10,000+ Lights - 4 or 5 Sequenced Songs

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Best Christmas Lights of 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chicago Area People Enter

Chuchla Family Lights of course!

Also try to get tickets to Illumination at the Morton Arboretum. They sell out often so make sure to plan in advance. It's well worth it.

3. Likes jklingert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Chuchla Family Lights of course!

Also try to get tickets to Illumination at the Morton Arboretum. They sell out often so make sure to plan in advance. It's well worth it.
    Your display is about an hours drive from the hotel we will be staying at. So I dont think we will be able to come check it out.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping For 10,000+ Lights - 4 or 5 Sequenced Songs

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Best Christmas Lights of 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Everything in Chicago is an hour drive. It's just a part of life we're used to. If you don't leave the downtown/Lincoln park area, you haven't seen Chicago. The Morton arboretum would be about the same distance from downtown as my house.. It's about 20 minutes from there to me. Illumination at the arboretum is well worth it. It's a different kind of experience that's very well done with several professionally created lighting vignettes. Brookfield Zoo does a better job at the zoo light thing than Lincoln Park zoo does. And it's a better zoo too. But again, it's in the suburbs. Although I've never seen it myself, I've heard that the Chicago Botanical Gardens does something nice too. Again, an hour's drive.

Most of the DIY type displays are a good distance from downtown Chicago. I don't know of any at all within the city itself. Mike Hughes (member here) has a fun display very close to the arboretum. Lights On Magnolia is in Rolling Meadows. He's got 4 houses sequenced together. Larsen's Light Show is spectacular and well worth the drive, but is over 90 minutes from downtown Chicago. Carrie Sansing has the most blowmolds you'll ever see in one place at her house in Glenview.

There's a handful of other displays out there too, but most of them are in the farther suburbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jon for the plug. If you want to make a day of it in the burbs. Naperville also does a Christkindlmarket. www.christkindlmarket.com/naperville/ You could see it, go to Illiminations at the Morton Arboretum, Brookfield Zoo, and finish with a few of DIY displays like Jon's, mine, and others in the area.
    Last edited by mikeh65; 10-16-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a good idea, but I doubt you can hit all that in one night. ChristKindleMarkets can be done during the day, but the rest really needs to be done after dark, and there's only so much you can do in one evening.

Brookfield Zoo will take several hours. If you don't plan it right, you can blow an hour or more just waiting in line to get into the parking lot. It's best to get there an hour or so before dark, ideally not on a weekend. That'll get you parked and in the gates before the crowds get heavy. It's a big place, and you can spend a lot of time exploring it, especially if you've never been there before. If you get out of there at a reasonable hour (7ish), you can make it to Morton arboretum in time for the later ticket times. Their admission goes until 8:30 with lights out at 9:30. You can get thru it in an hour, but 90 minutes would probably be better.

After that, Mike's house is 10 minutes away. I'm not sure how late he runs, but it's at least 10:30 or 11 on the weekends. His full show is a bit over an hour. I'm 20 minutes from him. I run until midnight on Friday and Saturday. My whole show is just under an hour.