Thread: My Arduino Home - Wireless 16 Channel Arduino Light Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Cool My Arduino Home - Wireless 16 Channel Arduino Light Controller

This year I decided it was time to do something a little different and design a Wireless 16 Channel Arduino Light Controller.

After over a month of waiting for all the parts to come in, I finally put the board together and have it tested and working.

This board uses the nRF24L01 chip to communicate over a wireless connection. This project is based on SSRez and Woordard Labs designed in one.

Check it out here: https://www.myarduinohome.com/W16CALC10

I plan to use this controller for my Halloween display, since I don't plan to do much with it. After I started putting it together I came to realize that it can get costly to have multi controllers. I am already working on a daisy chain enabled board that will only need one Arduino per 128+ channels. Also testing with other features that can help improve the board.

Check out the test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-2YyUErmE
    DaVaR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Arduino Home - Wireless 16 Channel Arduino Light Controller

Cool project. Way to push the controller forward.

Why did you go NRF instead ESP?

3. Thanks davarravad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This board uses Arduino code written by Woodard Labs so I went with those specs. However that is definitely worth looking into.
    DaVaR

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video. Can I ask the board dimensions, who you used for the boards, and what the boards cost? Which Arduino are you using for the receiver?

I used a modified version of Ken's software a couple years ago and had it working with three receivers at 60 channels each but could not figure out the dimming, just on/off. Now I use the ESP8266 module for WI-FI communication instead.

I found that designing my own Arduino shields and SSR boards was very satisfying too. Working out code (mostly modifying other's code) and seeing it work was fun.

Good job!!!!
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

6. Thanks davarravad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, congratulations on what is no small achievement.

8. Thanks davarravad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the positive support.

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Nice video. Can I ask the board dimensions, who you used for the boards, and what the boards cost? Which Arduino are you using for the receiver?

I used a modified version of Ken's software a couple years ago and had it working with three receivers at 60 channels each but could not figure out the dimming, just on/off. Now I use the ESP8266 module for WI-FI communication instead.

I found that designing my own Arduino shields and SSR boards was very satisfying too. Working out code (mostly modifying other's code) and seeing it work was fun.

Good job!!!!
    Board Dimensions: 6.5in x 4.5 x 1 in
    PCB design: EasyEDA.com
    PCB Production: JLCPCB (approx 1 week at the door)
    PCB Cost: approx $2 per board plus shipping.
    Parts Cost: approx $20-30. All parts purchased in bulk and have not crunched the numbers yet.
    Micro controller: Arduino UNO

I have not had any issues with Ken's original design. Fade works great! I wonder if you had an issue with the zero cross detection. I have 3 of his boards for my display currently. All 3 work great with SSRezs.

The nRF does not have the distance I would like, but I just put the transmitter in the window and make sure I have a line of sight and it works great. I might take a look in to using the ESP8266 in the future, but my main goal with the design is to keep the cost down.

Currently I am doing some testing with this board to see what changes I would like to make for the next version. The biggest Change is going to be the ability to only need one Arduino UNO per 125+ channels via Daisy chain configuration.
    DaVaR