Thread: Need the big guns. Special UCS 1903 Pixel Puck, comes on with power applied/no data.

Post Thanks / Like

Default RESOLVED:. Special UCS 1903 Pixel Puck, comes on with power applied/no data.

It's a 6 5050 LED puck that is using the UCS 1903 chip set. (most falcons can control these as ws2811).

However I've been playing and not figuring something out. I can't get them to do anything with 12volt, so I said well maybe someone sold me the wrong ones and I was ready to release the magic smoke.

So plugging into 24 volts, the LEDs come on, 3 as red, 3 as green, but there is no data signal. Now if I move the power to what I believe is the output, I get white light all 6 LED's go to white again still no data connection. Data connections don't seem to do anything on the input or output (in case someone at the factory screwed up).

Do you have any idea why a controllable LED would illuminate with no data being provided?

Over voltage? wiring wrong (from the factory)..

Ideas?

Thanks
    Tory
    Last edited by Livermore-Dad; 10-09-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    Happy to Show support;
    Xlights/Nutcracker and The Falcon Team

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need the big guns. Special UCS 1903 Pixel Puck, comes on with power applied/no da

I got a batch of pixels with this IC just last month. Upon power-up, they all light blue - without any data input. After trying to find the cause, I happened to be chatting with the vendor. At that point I didn't know these pixels used the UCS chip. The vendor said that "whenever you see blue upon startup, you know you have a UCS1903 - don't let anyone tell you otherwise". Apparently this is a known condition. I tried searching online but there is very little information about that WS2811 work-alike. I'm still wondering what I will do. Hope this helps.

BTW, once I applied data, the UCS pixels responded exactly like the WS pixels I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need the big guns. Special UCS 1903 Pixel Puck, comes on with power applied/no da

Ya after a year I finally decided to rip one of these apart and they are all botched up. Red + Green - White Data, and the input was actually the opposite connector the vendor told me. So all kinds of crud. I had to destroy one to check out the wiring myself before i figured it out But I'm good now.

Thanks
    Happy to Show support;
    Xlights/Nutcracker and The Falcon Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Livermore-Dad View Post
    Ya after a year I finally decided to rip one of these apart and they are all botched up. Red + Green - White Data, and the input was actually the opposite connector the vendor told me. So all kinds of crud. I had to destroy one to check out the wiring myself before i figured it out But I'm good now.

Thanks
    Now that you have the wiring figured out, do you see the pixels come up lit blue when powered on, but before any data is sent (i.e. as if data input was grounded)?