Thread: Some more Power injection questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some more Power injection questions

I'm a newbie to smart pixels and would appreciate some inputs on power injection to my new designs. I have a 500 nodes pixel matrix as well as a series of 200 node props. The setup is as follow

Matrix: Consist of 2 sections with 250 12V nodes ( 5x 50 nodes strings) each. The matrix is arranged in a 25 nodes (H) x 20 nodes (W) zig zag from bottom to top. Input on string 1 (50 nodes) and string 6 (50 nodes) is directly from controller . Power injection for String 4-5 (200 nodes) and 7-10 (200 nodes) is done by a seperate 400 watt power supply injecting at the start and end of the 200 node strings each (see image attached). My questions: Will this work as is? Will it make a difference to rather inject as follow: Controller ---> string 1 // Power supply ---->string 2------> string 4 ? Will the 15Amp fuse be sufficient protection?

Prop: Consist of 200 12V nodes ( 2 x 50 flat square + 2 x 50 bullet). Data only lines from controller. Separate 400 watt power supply powering 2 props (400 nodes total) doing power injection at every start and end of 200 nodes.(see image attached)
    My questions: Will this work as is? Will it make a difference to rather inject as follow: Power supply ---->string 1------> string 3? Will the 15Amp fuse be sufficient protection?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Some more Power injection questions

Power is coming off the controller for strand 1 and 6?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. String 1 and 6 the power is provided by the controller. A seperate power supply will provide power to all the other strings.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me like you nailed this. I didn't do the math on the 15 amp fuse but sounds about right for the power supply.

Post Thanks / Like

Fuse is to protect your wire. 15amps seems a bit much for me. If any of those wires are smaller than 14awg they will probably melt before a 15a fuse blows. I would fuse each injection point with a 7.5a fuse. I cant say I do it but many people recommend breaking the positive between injection point as well. Cut the positive between strings 3 and 4 and 8 and 9 so each injection point can only power 100 nodes.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to tie the two negatives together on the controller power supply and the prop power supply. Would like to see 16 awg or bigger wire for power transmission. 18 awg seems a little small for 12 amps at full bright white.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the advice. I completed my matrix build as designed and it works without any issues. I've decided on 16awg wire for the power transmission on the prop as I think the 18awg would not work that well considering the distance and amperage. I'm also using 10amp SPT2 fused plugs at every power injection point and power inject sections of every 200 nodes at each end (start and end) and it works without any signs of discoloring on white only test.

Thank you for the good advice.