Thread: Pixelpop / ESPixelStick issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixelpop / ESPixelStick issues

The part I used there:
    2N7000 MOSFET N-CHANNEL 60V 0.2A
    based on a BOM I found for Tayda Elactronics

Post Thanks / Like

The two parts are close in specs but not an exact match. They are also not equivalent replacements fro each other.

https://alltransistors.com/mosfet/tr...ransistor=5536

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    The two parts are close in specs but not an exact match. They are also not equivalent replacements fro each other.

https://alltransistors.com/mosfet/tr...ransistor=5536
    The wiki page https://www.doityourselfchristmas.co...6_ESPixel_Pops states: " Q1 - One Mosfet. This must be: 2N7000 or ZVN3306A, which has a T0-92-3 style package"
    I will gladly order some of the 3306 if it will fix the problem though.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, they are close. To me they look close enough to work. But I could not verify that using an equivalent search. There is a significant difference in Rforward but it should not matter in this application (almost no Iforward).

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I measured the voltages. I'm getting 12.1 volts out of the power supply and 12.0 out of the board into the pixels. (I also tried dialing it down to 11.0 volts and just got the first 5 pixels as white with no changes at all when I tried to do anything.) I have tried another set of strings (this time from Ray Wu). No change. Out of the voltage regulators, I am getting 3.32 and 5.01 volts respectively. I have tried inserting a 330 ohm resistor in series with the signal output with no change.

Every once in a while, the signal works and the string works for a while but only if I keep the power level around 80% or less on the color slider. If I turn it up higher, all the lights start flickering like crazy and go different colors. After a while (even if I keep the power level low), the string stops responding unless I power cycle everything. This makes me think it is an issue with the signal, and not with the power to the strings.

Post Thanks / Like

330 ohm is too high a value for a data line resistor. The sandevices controllers use a 220 by default and the falcon controllers use a 100 ohm. I've found that the 220s on the sandevices controllers is too high for most strings.

Post Thanks / Like

20181009_165309.jpg20181009_165445.jpgSmartSelect_20181009-165256_Photos.jpg
    I may have found the problem. The resistors I got from Tayda do not appear correct. They are supposed to be 330 ohm, but are measuring (with my cheap multimeter) at 100k ohm. Guess I need to order some resistors from somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

Color code for 330 ohm would be org org brn with maybe a silver or gold or none for the tolerance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, if you look close that is - Brown (1), Black (0), Black (0), Orange (*1000), Brown (1%) = 100,000 ohms or 100K. With some of the 5 bands resistors its difficult to tell what they are and I can see how that could appear to be - Orange (3), Orange (3), Black (0), Black (*0), Brown (1%) = 330 ohms. Checking with a meter is the best option to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Just desoldered the resistors from one board and resoldered new 330 ohm ones. It appears to be working flawlessly now. Now I just need to fix the rest of the boards Thanks for the help everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12