Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many WIFI devices are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How many WIFI devices are you using?

I have 25-30 ESP's on a Nanostation M2. The only issue I had, and Shelby can verify this, was connecting my phone to the same AP as my ESP's created issues. That's why I have another M2 for the Pi's in the yard. Each with a different SSID.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Not even the mega-poles you made?
    Indeed, I stand corrected. But because I sequence them in blocks of colors, they're generally treated more like strings, i.e. all white, all red, green, blue.... so I don't think of them as pixels. I only used pixel strips to make the poles out of the convenience of the materials. That's why the mega tree poles have 6 pixel strips each but the strips are wired in parallel, and sequenced in color blocks. Thanks for the correction, Al, and the reminder!

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Indeed, I stand corrected. But because I sequence them in blocks of colors, they're generally treated more like strings, i.e. all white, all red, green, blue.... so I don't think of them as pixels. I only used pixel strips to make the poles out of the convenience of the materials. That's why the mega tree poles have 6 pixel strips each but the strips are wired in parallel, and sequenced in color blocks. Thanks for the correction, Al, and the reminder!
    This sounds to me like a classic case of PIXEL DENIAL!
    You may not admit it but you have ventured to the dark side and there is no turning back now...
    LOL
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    This sounds to me like a classic case of PIXEL DENIAL!
    You may not admit it but you have ventured to the dark side and there is no turning back now...
    LOL
    HAH! It's actually more like a case of either CRS or early-Alzheimer's!

In past years, the center poles of my megatrees used twelve 50-ct white incans wrapped around the pole, controlled by an SS16 controller. After the last time my snowplowing service pushed snow off the driveway and into the megatree, breaking the pole and base ring and then trying to repair the incan strings, I started looking for perhaps a better solution that might be easier to fix. I decided LED strips were the answer, but then I discovered what while I could change the whole color of the pole, I couldn't animate it up/down very easily because an RGB LED strip uses only 3 channels. So the solution was to look at pixel strips but use them in blocks of pixels to simulate the 12 channels of white incans. But because one strip didn't provide enough light, I used six but wired them in parallel. Now, the pole requires 117 channels (divided roughly into groups of 10) instead of the twelve the incans used to require, and the SS16 is now on the shelf. With 6 pixel strips, it's potentially a total of 6 x 117 = 702 channels if the strips were not wired in parallel, which I absolutely refuse to do. 117 is bad enough when only 12 did the job before!

Here's what it looks like in action:

https://vimeo.com/244715313

Last edited by dirknerkle; 10-10-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: FFT

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12