Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mega Tree Construction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega Tree Construction

Quote Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
    I tried saving ports last year with 6 ports of 880 pixels on my tree. It didn't end well... I'd rather lose one string rather than 8. Not having to power inject saves money as well with all the power injection T's, wire, etc
    I think I’m confused. I’m interested in all ideas, but how does buying a dedicated f16v3 and two expansion boards save money over power injection? I’m honestly not sure which to do

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingjesse2 View Post
    I think I’m confused. I’m interested in all ideas, but how does buying a dedicated f16v3 and two expansion boards save money over power injection? I’m honestly not sure which to do
    This hobby is not about saving money! It is about spending it.

Really, either solution will work. Sometimes, easier (using port off the controller) is better than less expensive (using 2/4/6 ports and having to inject power). Power injection is not hard...just have to figure out how you can most easily do it and make it waterproof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    This hobby is not about saving money! It is about spending it.

Really, either solution will work. Sometimes, easier (using port off the controller) is better than less expensive (using 2/4/6 ports and having to inject power). Power injection is not hard...just have to figure out how you can most easily do it and make it waterproof.
    That is very true! I just wanted to understand how uncledan was saving money. I don’t mind spending, but I do like understanding everything and the best ways to do each thing.

And having a dedicated falcon and double expansion boards is $300 vs a few ports on a falcon and separate power supplies. I just want to get everyone’s 2 cents and to make this a an awesome tree!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you recommend a specific power supply(s)?
    meanwell supplies. fyi: i do not allow my controller to supply power to the lights. i power inject 100% starting at pixel #1

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    meanwell supplies. fyi: i do not allow my controller to supply power to the lights. i power inject 100% starting at pixel #1
    As far as that goes, how many power supplies did you need? I’ve seen .06amps used as a general calc. What was your experience?

Post Thanks / Like

I was assuming you were going to have to buy an F16v3 no matter what. You would only be spending an additional $50 on the expansion board. I figured it would cost more than $50 to buy power distro boards, power injection T's, wire, etc. You would have 8 available ports on the Falcon and expansion board if you used 24 for the tree. It doesn't have to be dedicated. You would probably need to power inject anything on the remaining 8 ports though.

Post Thanks / Like

0.55 looks to be where most of my pixels live. i use 0.06 as my baseline. i have seen some pixels advertise as little as 0.03.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

fyi: my power injection is all soldered leads to screw terminals in a printed box. 1 x 16awg wire in, 8 x 20awg wires out.

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s my BOM and setup for my 32x95 mega tree to give you some contrast:

F16v3 controller
    4x12v 300W Meanwell power supplies
    Boscoyo mounting strips built to length
    Boscoyo topper and guy wires
    Black pipe
    Permanent hole in the ground

Like Martin, I don’t power stuff off the controller.

I use 4 of the Falcon’s ports to send data. The ports are allocated 950 pixels each, except the last one, which is some other number I don’t recall because it also controls the star and something else I don’t recall.

At strands 1, 11, 21, and 31, data and power enter via an “isolation tee.” That’s a 3-2-3 tee that has the V+ line cut and capped on the “data in” side of the tee. It keeps power from a different power supply feeding back into the controller.

Each Meanwell supplies power to 10 strands of the tree (I don’t run the tree at 100%) plus the controller. Each Meanwell feeds a power distro board via 14 gauge wire. From distro board to injection points is 18 gauge, 2 core connectors.

3-2-3 tees connect strands 2&3, 4&5, 6&7, and 8&9. Power is injected in the 2-prong part of the tees. Strands 10, 20, and 30 are the end of data and power “sections’ of the tree, so there is no tee between strands 10/11 or 20/21 or 30/31. Strands 10, 20, and 30 end in a 3-2-3 tee that “back injects” power at the end of the line, and the downstream side of the tee is capped off.

Rinse and repeat that layout 2 more times plus the last 2 strands/Star/whateverelseIhaveonit, and that’s my tree.
    Last edited by Kensington; 10-06-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12