Thread: Using arches in xlights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using arches in xlights

When I set my layout initially, I used the arch setting and set the arches to 4.

I've come into issues where I want to isolate each arch but because they are set as a single unit I'm not sure how to do that.

Is this a shortcoming of my layout or is there a way to isolate each one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using arches in xlights

Quote Originally Posted by onceler View Post
    When I set my layout initially, I used the arch setting and set the arches to 4.

I've come into issues where I want to isolate each arch but because they are set as a single unit I'm not sure how to do that.

Is this a shortcoming of my layout or is there a way to isolate each one?

In layout set arches to 4. Then set #of nodes to each arch. Lights = 1 and don't forget to have a start channel #

Post Thanks / Like

You can always make submodels, in this case 1 for each arch, and then apply effects to the submodel instead of the model which consists of all 4 arches. Or just redo the model and make 4 individual arches instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so the advice to make submodels for arches is unnecessary. If you create an Arch with a count of 4 then you already by default get a submodel for each arch. Its just that we call them "Strands". When you expand a model into strands and nodes each arch is on its own strand and can be sequenced independently. Submodels internally are really about the same as a Strand.

But I assume if you want to isolate the arches its because you don't want them physically beside each other in the Layout. So just change the # of arches from 4 to 1 and then copy/paste the model 3 times and adjust the start channel for each one. Place them wherever you like. Copy from the picture not from the list. Click on the picture of the model then ctrl-c and then ctrl-v to paste.
    Didn't pay for a sig

Post Thanks / Like

What I am attempting to accomplish is animating the 4 count of arches individually without breaking my hard work on my sequence.

Effectively, they are seen as a group and I would like to do chases across one arch at a time for example instead of the group doing the chase at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, if you set up the arches the way Gil suggested first, you should be able to apply the chase effect to the arch group and have the chase progress through the “strands” one after another. If you make individual arches and then group those arches, you have to sequence the chase one arch at a time, as applying the chase to that group of independent arches will cause them to chase simultaneously.