Thread: Static Lights - Stephenson Family Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Static Lights - Stephenson Family Lights

For two years now I've been a member of this forum and never posted, just reading and watching all the amazing things you guys have done. This year I've told myself that I'm going to get more involved in not only my own new community but also on here. So here we go! For 5 years I have been doing a static light display while living in Denver, CO, here are a couple photos from 2017s lights. Most all the of parts of the display were either made myself, or refurbished with LED lights (90% of the display is LED).

Also this year the family and I sold our home, with much sadness from the neighborhood, but we bought our dream home in the Colorado mountains just outside of Denver, and now we have 1.5 acres of amazing mountain yard to figure out how to make shine.

25446020_2070806333153152_8286322372398436970_n.jpg

25354165_2070806013153184_1646644957737843568_n.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of what I will get to work with this year and the coming years!!!! Eventually I do have a goal to put my lights to music, but for now I have to travel a lot for work, and the wife doesn't want to take on the added responsibility to keeping a showing going if I'm out of town, so for now static will do.

Homepic3.jpg

Homepic4.jpg

I welcome anyone's opinion on future looks for the new property!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Static Lights - Stephenson Family Lights

First, and foremost, your old home is, in a word - WOW!

Very nice. Very, very nice.

Now - I wonder how long it will take you to fill the "extra" space.

Congratulations on the new place.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

3. Likes milehighsanta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! And that same question is one that gives my wife nightmares. haha!

Let's hope this year I have better luck finding LEDs on sale at the end of the season. Every year I normally buy 5-10k of lights at 50%+ off, but last year a lot of the stores let their LED stock run out before Christmas, therefore leaving very little left for the sales.

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed that most of the Big Box retailers have been discounting their lights starting in December
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

6. Likes milehighsanta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, since starting animated lighting I didn’t think I’d ever say this; but given the wonderful scene that you have created, I’m not sure that switching any part of it off even if timed to music would be an enhancement. Do the same with your new property you have a gift that few possess.

8. Likes milehighsanta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, since starting animated lighting I didn’t think I’d ever say this; but given the wonderful scene that you have created, I’m not sure that switching any part of it off even if timed to music would be an enhancement. Do the same with your new property you have a gift that few possess.
    You know, after reading this, and taking a long look (again) at the scene - I tend to agree. This is a flippin' post card. Good show.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

10. Likes milehighsanta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the look of the old house, stunning

welcome to the Forum, although you have been lurking.

thank you for sharing this to this wonderful forum.

cheers
    -AW
    [2017] 32 Renard Channels, 3360 LED Lights
    [2018] 240 Renard Channels, 11600 LED Lights

12. Likes milehighsanta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milehighsanta View Post
    I welcome anyone's opinion on future looks for the new property!
    As others have said, you have a good eye for using color and light to create a scene. Your new property just cries out for some standard white mini lights along the fence with understated (50% power) red mini lights with longer spacing running through it. I could see the top of the fence being wrapped rather tightly with the white lights or maybe even icicle lights. The trees in the yard are just screaming to be covered in single color lights. They are big trees to cover but would look so awesome decked out like that. Have fun. That looks like an interesting yard to create a scene in.

14. Likes milehighsanta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys so much for the kind comments! I have been going back and forth over ideas of either making it into a show in a couple years, or planning to make it a walk through static display, and doing an outdoor walk through Christmas village. But in the mean time, this year my goal is to hopefully have enough lights to just get some lights in all the trees. it's amazing what 20,000 LED lights look like on one place (old house) and then worrying that I don't have anywhere near enough lights for the new house. (this is what terrifies by wife)

Mike - Thanks for the input! Great ideas, and I totally agree about the trees, just hope I have enough lights to do them justice to start with. As to the fence, I like you ideas, but right now I'm leaning in a direction that involves some large wreaths, lights and mutilating some older 7 ft Christmas trees. Interesting idea with the icicle lights.