Thread: how to wire a mega tree correctly ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how to wire a mega tree correctly ?

One Year is over and I forgot all necessary steps to wire the mega tree correctly. What is the right way of doing it ? I have 16 stripes each with 50 pcs WS2811 and with Teensy .My question is how to connect each strip with the next strip. All in on line ? ( up and down A) Or each strips has to start at the bottom( B)
    see my drawing..
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how to wire a mega tree correctly ?

make it easy on yourself and wire A. You will need power along the way so take that into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

a would be the way but the problem I see is we don't know what program you are using vixen 3 sees bottom left as start location
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    a would be the way but the problem I see is we don't know what program you are using vixen 3 sees bottom left as start location
    I don't see what difference that makes? I don't know Vixen I guess but in XLights you choose the start location. Assuming its the same with Vixen? The wiring on A would be the way no matter what sequencer you're using..

Post Thanks / Like

Are using 5v or 12v pixels. Because if its 5v at 50 pixels one direction you are going to need to inject top and bottom for "A".

Last year I did 5v 25pxs "A" so I could do power injection at bottom. This year I went bigger 5v 50pxs but I did "B" so I can power inject each string at the bottom.

I'm using Vixen 3 both ways work just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

At 5v and 50% brightness you could inject at the start and then every 100 pixels. The lowest voltage any pixel would see is about 4.6v. That would put your injection points at the bottom of the tree. At those points you could use injection T's and not have to cut/splice.

For 12v and 50% brightness, I inject at the beginning and then every 200 pixels. That puts the lowest voltage pixel and just over 11v.

I can tell you the 12v injection above works because I've been using it. I'm building some 5v props this year and will be using the 5v plan above. I run most of my pixels at 40%. Remember that you're raising the voltage in both directions from an injection point.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you. I use Vixen 3 and yes the power supply is in my mind ;-) ( the drawing was without power to keep it simple :-) )

Post Thanks / Like

this is how my tree is wired

teee.gif
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdesign21 View Post
    Are using 5v or 12v pixels. Because if its 5v at 50 pixels one direction you are going to need to inject top and bottom for "A".

Last year I did 5v 25pxs "A" so I could do power injection at bottom. This year I went bigger 5v 50pxs but I did "B" so I can power inject each string at the bottom.

I'm using Vixen 3 both ways work just fine.
    you don't have to power inject top and bottom of strings all power injections at bottom and back feed up to top
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

I inject from both sides. It probably doesn't matter, cause i dont run them at full brightness.
    If you are using a Teensy 3.2, it supports 8 separate pixel outputs.