Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Planning pixel matrix

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Planning pixel matrix

    Hi All,

    I have been following this forum and Wiki for awhile now and must say that this site has alot of great information for someone wanting to get into anything to do with lighting and the control of them.

    Now, I know that this is not really a xmas thing but it is still about controlling the pixels and powering them, so I am hoping that someone here will be able to just review what I have planned and let me know if I am on the right track.

    Plans: Building a 48 * 24 RGB pixel matrix (1152 Pixels)
    Controller: SanDevices E6804 (Purchased)
    Pixels: RayWu 12v 30mA/per pixel WS2811 https://goo.gl/SgKsCC

    Description:
    Have spent sometime reading and learning as much as I can from the Wiki. Here is a description of what I have planned with an image to hopefully help.

    As there will be 12v pixels @ 30mA = 34.56Amps all up. I have chosen a 12v 40Amp power supply to run the lights and the controller, as 32 is 80% of 40. So running the supply at about 82% give or take a little.

    From the 12v i have chosen to use 10AWG cable and have two paths from the power supply, both with a 20Amp fuse. This then leads into 2x 8way fuse blocks.

    Fuse block explanation:
    I have split up the matrix into sections. Each 96 pixels will be power injection. This makes 13 Injection points all up plus 1 at the end of the matrix (14 points of injection).
    Each 96 pixels is 2.88Amps, so I have opted to use 14AWG cable from the fuse block to the pixels.

    So each fuse block will have 7 outputs to pixels with 3Amp fuses.
    All + leads will linked and all - will be linked.

    Is this the correct thinking I have been doing?

    Outlay:
    Layout.png

    Cheers in advance,
    Evan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sauk City, WI USA
    Posts
    943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Planning pixel matrix

    Hi Evan,

    You have done your research well from what I see. Heavy duty wire, multiple fuses - all good things. Probably a little overkill on the wiring. You could save some money by going with items closer to the spec you are actually building.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Planning pixel matrix

    Thank's Mike,

    I appreciate the reply. Good to know that I am on the right track. I will get back to the drawing board and look at the wiring again. Once I start building I will be sure to post the progress.

    Thanks again.

    Regards,
    Evan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Planning pixel matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by shikimol View Post

    Pixels: RayWu 12v 30mA/per pixel WS2811 https://goo.gl/SgKsCC
    Just as a forewarning these pixels are NOT waterproof. So I would shy away from using them outdoors. The chips are exposed to the elements and will likely not fair well outdoors.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Planning pixel matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by shikimol View Post
    Hi All,

    I have been following this forum and Wiki for awhile now and must say that this site has alot of great information for someone wanting to get into anything to do with lighting and the control of them.

    Now, I know that this is not really a xmas thing but it is still about controlling the pixels and powering them, so I am hoping that someone here will be able to just review what I have planned and let me know if I am on the right track.

    Plans: Building a 48 * 24 RGB pixel matrix (1152 Pixels)
    Controller: SanDevices E6804 (Purchased)
    Pixels: RayWu 12v 30mA/per pixel WS2811 https://goo.gl/SgKsCC

    Description:
    Have spent sometime reading and learning as much as I can from the Wiki. Here is a description of what I have planned with an image to hopefully help.

    As there will be 12v pixels @ 30mA = 34.56Amps all up. I have chosen a 12v 40Amp power supply to run the lights and the controller, as 32 is 80% of 40. So running the supply at about 82% give or take a little.

    From the 12v i have chosen to use 10AWG cable and have two paths from the power supply, both with a 20Amp fuse. This then leads into 2x 8way fuse blocks.

    Fuse block explanation:
    I have split up the matrix into sections. Each 96 pixels will be power injection. This makes 13 Injection points all up plus 1 at the end of the matrix (14 points of injection).
    Each 96 pixels is 2.88Amps, so I have opted to use 14AWG cable from the fuse block to the pixels.

    So each fuse block will have 7 outputs to pixels with 3Amp fuses.
    All + leads will linked and all - will be linked.

    Is this the correct thinking I have been doing?

    Outlay:
    Layout.png

    Cheers in advance,
    Evan
    It will definitely work, but you’ve over-engineered the wire gauge unless you’re pushing power a long distance. You can also cut your injection points in half—inject every 192 pixels (or 4 rows). 12v pixels can easily go up to 110-120-ish before you really need to inject, and remember that current flows both directions from an injection point, so injection at the beginning, every 200 pixels thereafter, and the end is sufficient.

    You can also reduce your power requirement by reducing brightness. You will be able to see that matrix from space at 100% power. I run my mega tree at 20% and it’s plenty bright even with two streetlights within 75 feet of it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Planning pixel matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by onceler View Post
    Just as a forewarning these pixels are NOT waterproof. So I would shy away from using them outdoors. The chips are exposed to the elements and will likely not fair well outdoors.
    Hi Onceler,

    Yes, I am aware that these are not waterproof. I am getting them as this pixel wall will be built in a housing and will be indoor use.
    Thank you though for your reply.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Planning pixel matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    It will definitely work, but you’ve over-engineered the wire gauge unless you’re pushing power a long distance. You can also cut your injection points in half—inject every 192 pixels (or 4 rows). 12v pixels can easily go up to 110-120-ish before you really need to inject, and remember that current flows both directions from an injection point, so injection at the beginning, every 200 pixels thereafter, and the end is sufficient.

    You can also reduce your power requirement by reducing brightness. You will be able to see that matrix from space at 100% power. I run my mega tree at 20% and it’s plenty bright even with two streetlights within 75 feet of it.
    Awesome, thanks Kensington.

    I was going to cover full current just to be safe. Even if I am not running it at full power all the time, I would just feel safer having that buffer there.
    Thanks for the reply, as I now have a better understanding of injection. I have been playing around with http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx to get a better understanding of voltage drop.

    Thanks everyone for the feedback, muchly appreciated.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •