Thread: PVC Bendit tool

Post Thanks / Like

Default PVC Bendit tool

Anyone in the Houston area with a pvc bendit heating tool available to rent or borrow? Looking to add a 360 tree and want to bend a 2 inch pvc pipe to make the 6 or 8 foot base circle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PVC Bendit tool

If you can't find one of them, you can use the hot sand method. I bent 1" pvc with this method 180 for my doorway arch. You can bend the pvc like a wet spaghetti noodle. Its not that hard.

Here are some basic steps to get you started.

Using play sand.
    -cap one end of the pvc
    -pour sand into the pvc to measure out the right amount of sand.
    -pour sand plus a little extra into an old pot/pan and heat on your grill outside. It doesn't have to get too hot.
    -using a metal funnel, pour heated sand into pvc.
    -let it "bake" for a few minutes
    -bend into your desired shape.

This arch was made using hot sand.
    2015-09-26 17.18.47a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I recently made myself a homemade pvc bendit. I used nichrome heating element wired found on eBay for very cheap. I took a 24í length and folded it in half twice and pulled it into 3/8Ē metal flex tubing. To do larger sized pipe, i just sleeve multiple bigger sized metal flex over the smaller one until itís close to the right size. The biggest Iíve bent was 1.75Ē ID and it went pretty smoothly. Since all of the metal flex was just scrap pieces I had laying around, all it cost me was the $6 or so for the nichrome heating wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you want to bend 2" PVC? My first 6 years I had some gray 3/4" conduit for a tree base (I now use 3/4" EMT). The conduit bends in an 8' circle rather easily. I've bent 1" PVC using the method above, and I wish I had had a jig to follow.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Or alternatively, check with the local phone company or the contractors who run cable. I got a used 6' cable reel that produced 2ea 6' steel square tube rings, just by asking at a local construction site. They also come in 8' sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all,

I did EMT for my first half tree a couple years back. I think PVC this time will be easier to get a good 360 base. Will try the hot sand method and jig up a frame to bend the pipe. Plan for this one to sit on a 2 x 6 frame with eyelets or something to allow quick assembly of the tree branches using bungee cord for the tension. Iíll post the results in a couple weeks when complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro