Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PVC Bendit tool

Quote Originally Posted by rdj6107 View Post
    cook it in a pot like scrambled eggs, preferably on a outdoor grill
    Great thanks will give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I did it in a large pan in the oven. Either way it takes quite some time to get the sand hot.
    Donít forget youíre also going to need to move that hot sand. And pour it into the pipe. So youíre going to need heavy gloves. And a metal funnel. Make sure to have a helper too. Thereís a lot of stuff to keep hands on and you need to work reasonably quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, very nicely done work.
    impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by schuricg View Post
    Thanks all,

I did EMT for my first half tree a couple years back. I think PVC this time will be easier to get a good 360 base. Will try the hot sand method and jig up a frame to bend the pipe. Plan for this one to sit on a 2 x 6 frame with eyelets or something to allow quick assembly of the tree branches using bungee cord for the tension. Iíll post the results in a couple weeks when complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I made the same type base for my mega tree last year, I used red pex pipe. 2 sections and 2 connectors and I was good to go, plus it’s pretty red color for the holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

What size pex? I had never thought about pex working outside before.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog87 View Post
    I made the same type base for my mega tree last year, I used red pex pipe. 2 sections and 2 connectors and I was good to go, plus itís pretty red color for the holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 3/4 but I would say any size would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon I have been trying to figure out how to do this too. I'm the fix it guy for a volunteer non profit and use pvc when nothing else will work but have found that spinning the pipe with a heat gun does not give me even heat over a wide enough area to let me get the consistent radius I want.

I have considered nichrome element but have not been able to find something heat tolerant enough to use for the electrical insulation to isolate the element from the flex-conduit.

Can you help me out with how you handled that part of the project? I would very much appreciate the help.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic511 View Post
    Jon I have been trying to figure out how to do this too. I'm the fix it guy for a volunteer non profit and use pvc when nothing else will work but have found that spinning the pipe with a heat gun does not give me even heat over a wide enough area to let me get the consistent radius I want.

I have considered nichrome element but have not been able to find something heat tolerant enough to use for the electrical insulation to isolate the element from the flex-conduit.

Can you help me out with how you handled that part of the project? I would very much appreciate the help.

John
    Have you tried filling the PVC with hot sand? I've seen some videos where it worked great.

HTH
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic511 View Post

John
    The kind I used had its own heat resistant insulation. I think it was a woven fiberglass type of material. It was something like this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-He...IAAOSwFD5fWS0I

I just used a length that was 4 times the length of the flex conduit and folded it in half twice before pulling it thru.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the size you are talking but...

I have a 360 tree and I use 3 pieces of 1/2 inch grey PVC conduit as the base. The conduit has a flared end so one piece mates to the next. I connect 3 pieces then bend one end around to the other and mate the 2 free ends. It is not stiff. It is springy and holds a good circle without any additional effort. At the end of the season, I disassemble the circle for easy storage. I do have to strain and grunt to do the first disconnect but the rest are easy. I suspect larger circles could be made with thicker conduit just fine.

This obviously only works for a full circle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12