Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladder Safety

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ladder Safety

I know it's almost that time of year when you take out ladder and start to use it more than normal for your light show. I just want to remind everyone to stay safe and have a helper if you can.

About 3 months ago I went to fix a water leak on my roof. I was already at top one foot on the roof and the other on ladder. I slipped as I was falling I manage to turn around and landing standing up on pavement. I shattered my right heel into pieces and I have a metal plate with screws. On my left foot I broke a small bone to my heel and tore all my ligaments. I was in a wheelchair for 2 1/2 months, right now i'm going to physical therapy to learn to walk.

I'm still hoping to be able to put up lights this Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ladder Safety

My brother fell about 8 feet off a ladder while decorating his house and basically crushed the right side of his body. I rent a boom lift evey year for setup and have everything arranged so I can take it down from the ground with a long pole and hook arrangement.

If you look into renting a lift be sure to compare prices as they can very widely for the same equipment. I am paying $225 for a weekend use.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of the misfortunes with ladders. Yes one should always have a helper or at least someone watching out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I couple of years ago I had my little 2 step "ladder" collapse while I was trying to adjust the arch on my driveway. My wife was backing out of the driveway and the whole event unfold. Thankfully, no serious injuries.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]40321[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    lights, blow molds, and cut outs; no blinky-flashy yet

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man i hate to hear about that, Ladders scare me, always have i hate to go up more then a few steps. i try not to but what i plan to do this year i will need to be on one i always have someone holding the ladder for me.
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

I have one peak that is 25 feet. I am not afraid of heights, but that one is a little unnerving. To make it a little less stressful, I tie the upper part of the ladder to the house through some bedroom windows! Knowing the ladder canít move sure makes it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 - Static Light Show
    2017 - 72 Renard Channels - Roughly 4,200 Lights - 3 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - Added Pixels to Rooflines
    You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ8...yLJieEEwDto7xg

Adding Pixel Arches, Snowflakes, and Singing Bulbs in 2019!

Post Thanks / Like

I had to install power at the peak of one of my roofs for future house outline. It also was about 25', just about the end of my 32' ladder. A bit unnerving drilling the hole and mounting the outlet. When I do the lights, definitely getting a lift.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aknflyer View Post
    I had to install power at the peak of one of my roofs for future house outline. It also was about 25', just about the end of my 32' ladder. A bit unnerving drilling the hole and mounting the outlet. When I do the lights, definitely getting a lift.
    Definitely, Get A Lift. Also the real trick is to design your attachments so that the decorations are secure, but can be detached from the ground using a long pole (or two). I just got this pole and can reach all the way to the top of the gable over my 2nd story from the ground. Only needing the rent the lift once helps alot.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I do not see mentioned here is the quality of the ladder and the rating.
    In Canada we have GRADES to the ladders, I am sure you have something similar in the US.
    Grade 1A up to 300lbs, 1 up to 250lbs, 2 up to 225lbs, 3 up to 200lbs.
    It is more expensive as you move up, but you will feel the difference as the higher quality ladders do not flex as much.
    Also, I use stabilizers at end of ladder to make it safer (wife insisted) Guess she does love me.....LOL
    Phil

10. Thanks TomL8345 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    Definitely, Get A Lift. Also the real trick is to design your attachments so that the decorations are secure, but can be detached from the ground using a long pole (or two). I just got this pole and can reach all the way to the top of the gable over my 2nd story from the ground. Only needing the rent the lift once helps alot.
    I have a pole that is similar. Curious, how do you disconnect the data/power? or is it fed from ground level?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast