Thread: Driveway lights in paving stones

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driveway lights in paving stones

I'm in the process of laying a new paving stone driveway and my wife mentioned that it would be nice to have some lighting. Now, she's thinking of some pretty basic, recessed LEDs and that would certainly work...

core_light_thru_hole_52dd5795-56e1-4148-9216-8c11008c2557_large.png

Stations-Area-Almere-Centraal-by-OKRA-Landscape-Architecture-01.jpg

However, I was wondering if anyone has considered how to install addressable, RGB LED lights? Does anyone have a source for inexpensive waterproof lenses/cases that I could disassemble and install RGB pixels into?

Thanks,
    Randy

(1st Post!)

2. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Driveway lights in paving stones

Not sure what your definition of inexpensive is, but there's some fairly cost effective ready made ones out there.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...320c11007m82Mf

Post Thanks / Like

You also need to be able to drive over them if you put them in the driveway proper

Post Thanks / Like

How much "light" do you want in your driveway lights? (Sounds like a stupid question, but hear me out.)

Something I have seen many times is the use of fiber optic in hard surfaces, such as a driveway or walkway. (First saw it at Disney World, but it has been seen many other places.)

What you do is to run the fiber from a "light box" (usually off to the side, or hidden somewhere) out into the area that you want lights in. Keep the fibers well above the level of the pour. Pour the cement, or other material all around the fibers, and let it dry. Once dry, use a razor blade and cut the fibers at the level of the pour. The really good part of this is you can use different colored lights in the light box, or you can have many sections - allowing for some interesting patterns. You can even go really "out there" and have a different light for each fiber strand. Whatever you want.

But ... It is all dependent on what level of "light" you expect.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I'm really just looking for lighting that goes up the sides of the driveway and along the side of our walkway. The driveway will be paving stones/interlock so it is really just a matter of drilling the edge bricks, installing the light and running some wire. Obviously, I'd like something weatherproof. I've already installed conduit in the driveway base to allow for wiring each side. In terms of lumens, I'm not looking for anything crazy as their pointing upwards. The advantage of using lights in the driveway, as opposed to staked landscaping lights, is that the driveway is cleared of snow during the winter whereas the adjacent gardens are typically under 2'+ of snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome. The best bet to move this thread forward and get you some advice is to select a cheap light from ebay and link it as an example (one with dimensions and a couple of views would be good), we can the chat through the options and limitations. Whilst ultimately you might go for a different style or seller most of the advice would still apply.