Thread: Mega tree anchoring question for guy lines (Hoping I can make it work..)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mega tree anchoring question for guy lines (Hoping I can make it work..)

So I have been wanting to do a pixel mega-tree for some time but am trying to figure out the mechanics of it given my yard. At the bottom of the post is a picture of where I want it (without flowers =p). I have a planter that is 6ft in diameter (outside brick edge to outside brick edge). The problem is I have artificial turf around it in the yard (southern California). I was thinking of doing a 14ft mega-tree using the Boscoyo kit so the guy line anchor part would be approximately 7ft up (or more if needed). My question is how to anchor the guy lines and what would be strong enough and a big enough angle..

Without pounding huge spikes through my turf and puncturing the weed barrier I have to stay within confines of the planter. My options I see so far are..
    1) Put some concrete anchors or climbing bolts into the inner part of the brick ring to attach the guy lines to. (Assuming the brick will hold up to the stresses from the guy lines..)
    2) Try to drive some really long screw style anchors (think the kind you use to tether dogs in yard) into the planter bed.
    3) Pour 3 smallish (6-in) diameter concrete anchors about a foot below the top-soil level with eye-bolts in it.

My only concern with any of this is will the angle of the guy lines be to sharp to effectively anchor the pole? Due to the brick size each guy line will be about 2.5-3ft from center putting it at a pretty steep angle.

For the pole base I was likely going to make a small 1ft x 1ft platform from pressure treated 2x4s and mount the base plate to that. I cannot really sink much into the ground in the center of planter since a drainage pipe runs right through it about 3 ft down.

Keep in mind this is Southern CA were we don't get a ton of wind but often do get some rain Nov or Dec but at least it does not blow to much. I just want it sturdy enough to not fall down in a breeze or when loaded with pixels =p

Suggestions/comments to my ramblings?

*edit* forgot pic..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ccrowder; 09-19-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega tree anchoring question for guy lines (Hoping I can make it work..)

I use Landscape Timber Spikes, which look like long galvanized nails, to anchor my tree. They'll put holes in your artificial turf but they won't be large holes. I pound them in at a sharp angle to counter the pull of the guy line. I only use 3 cables for a 12 foot tree. I've anchored the base of my pole some years and not others. I can look at your photo and say that it looks like you have enough room to support a tree that size but seeing in it person and in a photo are different. With just three cables you should be able to find enough distance from the base to place a decent anchor. You can also look at building a portable hole, which would give more support for the base and reduce the degree of dependence on guy lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega tree anchoring question for guy lines (Hoping I can make it work..)

A simple solution would be to >>>>>
    Bury an abs Sleeve for your mega pole that would be 4"-6" above the drain pipe .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-3R...ature=youtu.be

Pre make a concrete form for the sleeve with a solid 18" - 24" Sq. footing that is 3"-5" thick

For extra stability , you could create support legs via an adjustable abs sleeve on the mega pole that would rest on the brick .

exterior sleeves for support legs and lower pixel support ring >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGj_...ature=youtu.be

Easy design without the need for wires etc .
    Last edited by angus40; 09-19-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to see a wider picture. On the driveway side just install a removable anchor bolt in the driveway, and I can't see well enough but you might be able to use anchor bolts in your foundation of the house.
    2016 - 5th. year - Over 18,000 channels E1.31 including 350 Channels Renard, Video Projection - XL/NC - On Falcon Player, up to four megatrees.
    2017 - 6th. year - Moved display to a public park, Over 45,000 E1.31 channels, down to 100 Channels of serial Renard - XLights running on Falcon Player on a raspberry PI.

Randy: Xenialights on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some other pictures for reference/context..

Old Christmas pic.. stuff has changed a bit..

And here is a link to some test sequences I was using last year to give another perspective of where tree will be in reference.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jGVpzUGyx9NQmUUj6

Post Thanks / Like

I let my strings be the guy wires. I set the center pole in pvc buried 3'6" deep in the ground. My square tube ring 6' in diameter hangs from the strings. Then I used 4 screw in anchors and bungied the ring to the anchors. Keeps the strings nice and tight. I did have to add 2 blank strings in the back so the ring did'nt tilt, since my tree is a 180 degree tree.