Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros/cons of Boscoyo "traditional" and "push-to-load" pixel mounting strips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pros/cons of Boscoyo "traditional" and "push-to-load" pixel mounting strips

Quote Originally Posted by ags0000 View Post
    ...32" diameter top of my tree.
    You have a 32" diameter tree topper?!?!? That's crazy huge. Are you sure you don't mean circumference? I thought my 9" head was big. How many strips are you using?

If you're thinking this hard about the choice between strip types, go for the classic style. You're going to have sore hands and it will take you forever, but you won't be sorry with the performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pros/cons of Boscoyo "traditional" and "push-to-load" pixel mounting strips

Quote Originally Posted by ags0000 View Post
    @algerdes Can you elaborate on what drives your "personal preference" in two directions such that you use the push-to-load style for horizontal (gutters... but does that mean the pixel points up, so the mounting strip is . basically invisible?) but the traditional for vertical (trees)? Thanks.
    Sure. The push to load strips I have are meant to be mounted to a PVC or EMT conduit (1/2" is typical). This means there is an area built into them to accept the pipe. This works great around the horizontal areas of the house. Doesn't work too well as a hanging strip because it takes up too much room.

Boscoyo Push to Load Pixabulbs.PNG
    Live, Laugh, Love.

3. Thanks ags0000 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    You have a 32" diameter tree topper?!?!? That's crazy huge. Are you sure you don't mean circumference? I thought my 9" head was big. How many strips are you using?

If you're thinking this hard about the choice between strip types, go for the classic style. You're going to have sore hands and it will take you forever, but you won't be sorry with the performance.
    That's no mistake - 32" diameter. This is why I'm so obsessive (some would say an*l) about the decisions to be made. One small mistake turns into a huge disaster quickly at this scale.

I will have 128 strands @ 64 pixels each, 25' tall; 32" top diameter, 14' (feet) bottom diameter.

My hands already hurt just thinking about it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Sure. The push to load strips I have are meant to be mounted to a PVC or EMT conduit (1/2" is typical). This means there is an area built into them to accept the pipe. This works great around the horizontal areas of the house. Doesn't work too well as a hanging strip because it takes up too much room.

Boscoyo Push to Load Pixabulbs.PNG
    I saw that (took me a while to figure out the differences on the Boscoyo web site). Now that makes sense for the gutter mounts. The pixel strings are horizontally oriented, the pixels themselves are also horizontal (not pointing up) and facing the "audience". And there is a house/fascia/gutter that "hides" the slots of the mounting strips. I see, makes sense. But for the vertical (string) orientation, "traditional" mounting strips, without the slots, and more secure? Personal/aesthetic preference...

Post Thanks / Like

Those feel like odd proportions. My tree is about the same height at 25 and 18 bottom diameter but only 32 strips of 100 pixels.
    This is just my opinion but I think your tree is going to have too many horizontal columns and not enough vertical. And with a topper that wide, I would think it will look like someone lopped off the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used his newer style of strips for two seasons and did experience some problems with a few lenses popping off in high winds. The fingers that grip the pixels can shift slightly during wind or when rolled up for storage. I also had some of those fingers get brittle and break during setup and takedown during the second season. After that I stopped using them. If I was to use them again I would put in the extra time to remove each bulb with the original style strips.

8. Thanks ags0000 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Those feel like odd proportions. My tree is about the same height at 25 and 18 bottom diameter but only 32 strips of 100 pixels.
    This is just my opinion but I think your tree is going to have too many horizontal columns and not enough vertical. And with a topper that wide, I would think it will look like someone lopped off the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Picture of tree in a previous life, same dimensions but 1/2 the pixel density as planned for 2018:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ags0000; 09-20-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever write up how you built your tree and how you modeled it? I've never seen an offset pixel tree. Very cool!

Post Thanks / Like

@MikeKrebs I have shared bits and pieces as it seemed to be relevant to help others with their projects, but never a complete "how to" writeup. I think it's unusual in that I have exactly one element in my display - the megatree (the white incans in the background are on a neighbor's gutters).

Because I have only one element to worry about, I developed my own controller and sequencing tool. Since I have all the source code (and understand every line of it) and it doesn't have to be generically-useful, it was pretty easy to model the staggered pixel spacing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12