Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Planning for Creating a Mega Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help Planning for Creating a Mega Tree

I like the idea of using the trampoline base, but that extends the height to 14' from the 12' i was thinking. This would be fine, but it takes the pixel count per strand from 50 to 86. I'd really like to be at 50 or 100 pixels per strand to keep it easy to wire/inject power per 100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corydorning View Post
    I like the idea of using the trampoline base, but that extends the height to 14' from the 12' i was thinking. This would be fine, but it takes the pixel count per strand from 50 to 86. I'd really like to be at 50 or 100 pixels per strand to keep it easy to wire/inject power per 100.
    There are lots of options for the base. Depending up on the size you are looking for, you can bend your own pipe or just use tent stakes to hold each string. There are a ton of options. You might be able to find a 8' trampoline (I would recommend a quick search on Craigslist and/or Facebook Marketplace before deciding what you want to do). I like the trampoline base because it's a solid, perfect circle and should be quick to setup. On my incandescent tree, I used tent stakes to hold each string. This took a while for setup, but got the job done. The options are limitless.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

I too have opted to use an old trampoline frame for the base of my first Megatree build this year. I'm still in the building phase to complete the tree however I have completed the base. I'm doing a 180 degree tree. Unlike someone's earlier comments about having a 14' trampoline and needing something a little smaller, I actually needed a 16' 6" base for my tree. All I did was to take half of the 14' trampoline and take it apart so that I had 6' lengths of pipe and then took each section and bent it outward (using 2 big trees that were in the yard....close together) and put a slight bend in each section (at about 1' increments) until I had each section formed to the bend I needed. I now have a 16' 6" frame that looks like it has a very smooth 180 degree arc to it.

I'm using the ASAP pole as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12