Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Planning for Creating a Mega Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Planning for Creating a Mega Tree

Okay...so i'm attempting to do my first mega tree this year and I've read a lot here, but all sorts of numbers are being throw around so I'm trying to hone in on what i need. Here's what i have so far:

- I'd like my tree to be 12' to 15' tall
    - Based on reading it seems like 2" spacing at the bottom seems like a good starting point
    - 180* since it is set back from the street
    - Using ws2811 pixels

What I don't know is:
    - How many light strings do I need?
    - How many pixels per strand?
    - What spacing should i have between the pixels? (Was thinking 2")
    - What should the radius of the bottom of the tree be?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by corydorning; 09-15-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help Planning for Creating a Mega Tree

Ran the #'s:
    6' dia base 12' high= 148" rounding down to the nearest inch. 2" spacing= 74 pixels
    8' dia base 12' high= 151" roudning down to the nearest inch. 2" spacing = 75.5 pixels

6' dia base 15' high= 183" rounding down to the nearest inch. 2" spacing = 91.5 pixels
    8' dia base 15' high= 186" rounding down to the nearest inch. 2" spacing - 93 pixels

If you meant 2" spacing between the strings at the bottom, that would be too close. On my 50 pixel tree with a 6' base I spaced 5" apart at the ring. You will need to decide on the # of strings and come up with a # for the spacing on the ring.
    Mine was 24 each 100" strings spaced 2" for a total length of 8' 4". But the ring was suspended above the ground about 18" and I used bungie cords to pull the ring down to anchors in the ground. Kinda used the strings as built in guy wires. I added 2 empty strings at the back to make the ring level.
    I used half of a square tube cable reel that telecom uses for cable or duct.
    It worked very well for me.
    Stallionet has a very good thread on this site on how he did it. I just modified a few things. Its all about how you want to go.
    Hope this helps.

Tree Pic.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

How would i go about coming up with the number of strings? any guidelines on that? also, as far as building everything out for the megatree, does anyone have bulletproof advice on what to use to make things as easy as possible for setup, teardown and storage?

Post Thanks / Like

Play around with the calculator/visualizer at https://www.lightshowhub.com/tools/mega-tree-calculator and see what looks good to you. For reference, I'm doing a ~18' tree this year with 2" spacing. I'm using a 10' trampoline frame as my base. I'm doing 100 pixels/strand and a total of 30 strands (3000 pixels total). There are a lot of variables that you can adjust depending upon what you are looking to do.

For ease of setup/tear down (as well as ease of building), I made my strings exactly 100 pixels and each strand has pigtails on both ends. I run 200 pixels per output of my controller (100 up and 100 down). Each strand can be individual put up or replaced if something fails during the show. Hopefully will also allow for easy storage in the off season.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

i see a lot of people using the trampoline base...any further info on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to find some builds out there. i saw the ASAP pole by Monkhouse but sheesh...seems extensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt you're going to find any two trees the same on here. This is what I think would be the easiest for you - get 16 strings of 50 pixels, use the strips from Boscoyo using 3" spacing (about the height you are looking for), get a tree topper from holidayCoro, for the mast use chainlink top tubes and now build a 180 tree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corydorning View Post
    i see a lot of people using the trampoline base...any further info on that?
    Sure, I found a cheap (i.e. free) used trampoline on craigslist. Not ever owning a trampoline, I quickly discovered that there are many different diameters available. My first free trampoline was 14' which was just too big for my tree, so I kept an eye out until I found a cheap 10' one. I only use the ring part of the base -- no legs or anything. I then drilled holes where the springs normally attached and put J hooks in the base. I plan to attach my pixel strips to these J hooks. It turns out that the trampoline base that I picked up has exactly 64 spring locations around the tree. Since I'm doing a 180 deg tree and 30 strings, this worked out almost perfectly.

I'm using the ASAP pole and portable hole for the mast of the tree. I plan to attach 10' 2x6s along the sides of the portable hole to serve as a "foundation". These 2x6's will be anchored to the ground and the trampoline ring will sit on top and be anchored to it with pipe clamps.

This is my first year using this design so I'll try and get some pictures when I set it all up.
    Keith

9. Likes corydorning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corydorning View Post
    Trying to find some builds out there. i saw the ASAP pole by Monkhouse but sheesh...seems extensive.
    I'll highly recommend the ASAP pole design. For the past few years, I used his JUMP design with a ~20' incandescent tree. This year, I've upgraded to the ASAP design for my pixel tree that's replacing the incandescent tree. It is an extensive inital build and is not cheap, but it will last you for many, many years.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Going on 3rd year for Mega Tree. Added ASAP pole last year. Made things so much easier and stronger. Using 16x50 pixels for 180 degree tree. A lot of pre-made sequences available out there for purchase or for free are made for 16x50. That is why I went with that size. Easy enough to adapt them to larger or smaller trees but keeps it simple to start out with. I created a 16x50 12 days of Christmas Sequence (Straight No Chaser) for Mega Tree that I'll give you if you want? Message me if you'd like it. Here is a video of it: https://youtu.be/A6jzZ3syRj8

Here is my build thread from beginning to end. Will give you an idea of what a 16x50 looks like : http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...Remote-Control

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast